Saturday, June 13, 2015

One Million Cheetos

For the life of me I can't remember how or why or when white cheddar Cheetos became the most favored dog treat in my house, but for the last 10 years or so, not one of my dogs or granddogs set paw in this place without eating at least a few white cheddar Cheetos while they were here. While each and every one of those hounds loved them some Cheetos, Julie and Ollie definitely raised the bar to all new heights in their joint quest for the puffed cheesy deliciousness. I'm pretty sure they had me trained to give them Cheetos at specific times throughout the day ... it had absolutely nothing to do with me training them and everything in the universe to do with them using their wagging tails and adorable little faces to trick me into granting their frequent Cheetos wishes. I've wondered at times just how many bags of white cheddar Cheetos I've purchased for my dogs over the years, but tonight I know it doesn't matter ... tonight I know that every single crumb in every single bag of Cheetos was so very, very, very worth every penny I spent.

Many of you have gotten to know my two dogs Julie and Ollie over the last few years through my posts, and a huge thank you to so many of you who have written to share stories about your own canine companions. It's with deep sorrow and a heavy heart this evening that I must tell you that yesterday was the final day of my beloved Julie's journey with me and my little family this side of heaven. And yes, I believe there will be dogs in heaven ... you bet I believe heaven will be filled with wagging tails and floppy ears and cold noses ... you can bet everything you have that I believe furry buddies who are no longer with me are running and jumping and eating white cheddar Cheetos on the streets of gold tonight. Yep, I believe that right this very minute, my little fat buddy J.R. and my big old girl Julie are getting their celebration on in a big, big way ... no more pain, no more suffering, healthy legs and clear minds ... enjoying an eternity of running and jumping and eating white cheddar Cheetos.

I'll never toss a Frisbee or throw a tennis ball again without thinking of Julie ... that crazy dog loved to play more than any dog I've ever known. I remember the day Brad and Meghann brought her home after they rescued her from a kill shelter, and I will never forget how excited Brad was when he discovered that she knew how to catch a Frisbee and return it, to shake and lay down and high-five and sit. Julie was definitely Brad's dog ... she flipping loved that boy to pieces. I remember how Brad used to fall asleep on the couch with Julie sprawled out on top of him, her head plopped squarely on top of his. I remember how sad she was when her boy left for college and how she eventually decided to make the best of living with me. I remember how she just knew when my blood sugar was too low and the way she would gnaw on me and pull at my clothes until she got me to check my sugar levels. I remember her belly-flopping into the lake at the dog park and almost ripping my arm off when I tried to walk with her on a leash. I remember when she helped herself to a couple of dozen cupcakes that were left unprotected on the kitchen counter. I remember the trip to Tennessee when she stood on top of Brad in the car for 11 1/2 hours. I remember snuggles on the couch and licks on my chin. I remember my sweet Julie girl and how very much we all loved her.

I miss you tonight, big girl, and so does your little buddy Ollie. The house is so lonesome without you ... so quiet ... so empty. I miss your sweet face and your kind eyes and your love of adventure. I miss you, Julie dog ... I miss you so much it hurts. Tonight I know more than ever that we didn't rescue you at all, old friend ... in all the ways that matter most, you're the one who rescued us. Sleep well, old girl ... you will never be forgotten and you will forever be loved ... sleep well, old girl ... sleep well.







No comments: