Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Where Is He?

Tonight's post is going to be a shorter one, as I have a wounded wiener dog that needs my complete love and attention. J.R.'s old back injury has been acting up for a couple of days, and he's a miserable long dog tonight. So, I'm stretched out on the floor typing this entry, and his head is resting on my arm. Poor little guy ... even with cortisone shots and pills, and a substantial dose of puppy valium (which I seriously considered sharing with him!), he is still in significant pain from his hurting back. The vet has said from the very first time his back flared up that he thinks it's an old injury ... from someone twisting him when he was young. And yes, every time I think of someone hurting him, I, well, suffice it to say that I should never ever meet the person who injured my sweet boy dog.

As I headed out for my nightly walk tonight, I was missing J.R. trotting along beside me in a big way. I soon noticed that my stride and gait seemed awkward and that I was struggling to find my pace. Not too long into my stroll, a young couple that I pass most evenings stopped me to ask where my four-legged companion was this evening. I explained to them that his back was hurting, and they said to tell him to feel better. As I made my way along my usual route, one person after another ... people who usually simply say hi or nod a casual greeting ... stopped along the trail to ask where J.R. was, and without fail, each of them said to tell him they hoped he was back on his feet real soon.

Making my way across the last bridge on the path before I turned to head across the grass and head home, my eyes filled with tears as I began to pray that God would touch J.R.'s back and make him well. I'm sure that it's more than OK with my Lord that I prayed for my dog ... after all, He's the one who brought J.R. into my life.

So tonight, and every night ... here's to you, J.R. the wiener dog. Here's to the joy that you bring not only to me, but to all those people we pass each evening as we walk. Feel better, little buddy ... people are missing you.

 

1 comment:

allie :^) said...

one of my absolute fave things about our amazing trail system is all of the wonderful, kind hearted people who share it with you and me. :) its more than marvelous to see familiar faces and strike up innocent and pleasant conversations with new and old trailmates alike. I LOVE OUR TRAILS AND THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE THEM! ;)