Sunday, July 17, 2011

Transformation Time

To say that it's hot in Kansas City doesn't even begin to tell the full story of how truly hot it is here. In the 21 years I've lived here, I don't ever remember so many days in a row where it's been this hot and humid. There have been hot days, but I can't remember such a stretch of endless heat. It's so hot it's hard to breathe when I step outside, and it's so humid that within minutes of going outside, I'm quite literally soaking wet. Except early, early in the morning ... and I do mean early. I've been walking at 5:30 a.m. for the past few days, because it's the only time of day that is cool enough to be out on the trail.

Yesterday morning, I was deep in thought as I walked alone in the low light before the sun officially rose for the day. I was thinking about the day ahead ... what I needed to get done around the house; where I needed to shop for groceries; when I needed to leave to drive to Topeka to meet my children and their wife, husband and girlfriend for dinner; how I was going to gear myself up and put on my happy face for everyone I had to have contact with throughout what promised to be a very long day. I was so deep in thought, in fact, that I was sort of ... well ... wandering a bit on the trail as I walked with my hat pulled low on my forehead and my eyes planted on the path beneath my feet. And I was wandering so much that I walked right into a tree on the side of the trail ... yep, I walked smack dab head-on into a tree. Thankfully, the bill of my cap hit the bark of the tree before my face did, and I made sure that I paid better attention to where I was going for the remainder of my walk.

It never ceases to amaze me how it seems that God almost always has a lesson to teach me out on the walking trail ... and to think that not that long ago, I only went for a walk on the trail when my kids forced me to go. And now ... well, now, walking not only keeps me alive physically, there are days when I feel that my time on the trail is all that keeps me alive emotionally and mentally. After my bump into the tree yesterday morning, I decided to sit for a few minutes on a bench along the side of the trail before heading toward home. Sitting there sipping on my water bottle and telling myself how dumb it was that I didn't see the tree, I pushed my cap back a bit on my head. As I brought my hand down from my cap, a large monarch butterfly landed on the end of the bench. Watching its wings slowly move back and forth, I wondered if it was the time of year when the monarchs migrate through Kansas City. Some years, it is an amazing sight ... butterflies everywhere ... floating effortlessly along on their journey.

The butterfly was on my mind all day, and I found myself thinking about the transformation that takes place when a caterpillar becomes a butterfly ... I thought about the slow movement of the caterpillar crawling along, about the time spent wrapped in a cocoon, about the freedom of flight once the transformation is complete. As I sat at dinner last night with my children, I recognized in full that they have all gone through the transformation from children to adults. As they laughed and talked and hugged, tears filled my eyes as I thanked God that they are all so healthy and happy, and that their lives are so full.

Climbing into my car to drive home, I couldn't help but wonder what the future holds ... for me and for my sweet children. I couldn't help but breathe a prayer of protection for them ... please, Lord, watch over my kids no matter what the future holds ... keep them, Father God, in the palm of Your mighty hand and wrapped in Your eternal love. I can never thank You enough for them, Lord, never enough.





 

2 comments:

Angi said...

It is amazing how God works. In that dark cocoon we can not see the light or even the beautiful creature we will immerge as. The beautiful creature God intended us to be, never to return to the old us.

allie :^) said...

i love that we will always have this in common: that that same trail is a same nothing short of wonderful sanctuary to us both! :)

k, didn't know you bumped into a tree. :O

a million thanks for our sanctuary, our trail. and the peace and happiness it brings us.

it is truly a place that restores souls and renews hearts that have become weary.

just love that we walk the same path, look at the same big ks sky...and breathe deep. :)

xoxo love you soulmate trailmate! :)