Monday, September 12, 2011

Sweet Caroline

Little kids are the best, the absolute best, blessings in life. They are honest and real and sweet and funny. And most of the time, they smell good ... kind of like cotton candy mixed with sugar cookies and shampoo and candles. They cry easily and they laugh even easier. They play ... a lot. They don't worry about how they look or what kind of clothes they wear or what other people think about them. They pray sweet prayers, and I believe they have a direct line to God. They don't worry about when they will die or if they will get sick. They live every moment of every day and they have a true excitement about the little things in life. They see castles in the sand and gold in the sun. They love with innocence and truth. I'm telling you ... little kids are the absolute best blessings in life.

Tonight I had dinner with a family who has five children, from teenagers to little kids. The big kids impress the heck out of me with their kind and loving hearts, and I love it when they talk about what's going on in their worlds or how they feel God is leading them. I love it when one of them grills amazing chicken for dinner and when one of them says, "Are you going to eat that corn?" The little kids are generous with their hugs to me, and they crack me up with some of the things they say like "God, thank you for letting ... um ... um ... (Dad says my name) ... oh, yeah, for letting Terrie come to dinner."

Last week, I got to spend a lot of time with two of my favorite little kids in the world, my great niece who is six, and my great nephew who is four. I love those kids, and they seem to love their Aunt Terrie. I don't get to see them very often, but when I do, it's like heaven right here on earth. I love to spend time playing with them and listening to their stories and it's like medicine for my soul when Ahmed tells me how much fun I am or Caroline tells me she loves me. They are both incredibly smart, and I couldn't help but chuckle when Caroline told me that she's already reading at an upper second/early third grade level. Those kiddos touch my heart and bring me joy.

I thought a lot about Ahmed and Caroline as I drove back to Kansas City last Saturday ... I thought about the sweetness of their hearts and the innocence of their minds, and I thought about how much fun I had spending time with them. I thought about how I look forward to seeing them each time I travel to Tennessee. I thought about them growing up and wished that I lived closer to them so that I could be part of their lives. I thought about what the future may hold for them, and I wondered what kind of world they will live in when they are adults. I thought about sweet Caroline and precious Ahmed, and I thought about the unconditional love I feel when I am with them. And the more I thought about them, the more I thought about God and how much He loves every single one of His children and the unconditional love He showers down on me.

Protect those little ones, Father ... wrap them in love and watch over them, Lord. Keep them safe, and let them learn and understand who You are. Guard their hearts, God, guard them from evil and set their eyes on You. Take care of my sweet Caroline and precious Ahmed, Lord, please take care of them.

No comments: