Thursday, October 10, 2013

Just Being a Beagle

When I first began writing this blog, I really and truly believed that no one would ever read it. I certainly never imagined that my readership would grow larger and larger over the years ... after all, the words I write are nothing more than the ramblings and musings of a 50-something gray-haired gal transplanted from the hills of Tennessee to the plains of Kansas. But for reasons I will never know or understand, many of you continue to read along with me as I share the ups and downs, goods and bads, sours and sweets of my life. I'm always surprised at how many of you don't just read the words I write, you read into my heart through those words as well. So to the many of you who've emailed me over the last week or so with words of encouragement and concern ... I wish I could answer each of you personally, but you'll have to consider this my blanket thank you. And to those of you who've emailed me with words of judgment and condemnation, it would be really great if you could just lay off for a while. Over the last couple of weeks, I've had the wind knocked out of me, and to be honest, I could really use a break from the negative chatter for a bit ... please and thank you. Seriously ... please and thank you.

My neighbors at the end of the street got a new puppy a couple of months ago, after their faithful 15-year-old dog passed away. The new pup is named Tiger ... I'm not sure why, but that's his name nonetheless, and he's the same kind of dog as the old boy who kept watch over the corner house for so many years. Yep, Mr. Tiger is a beagle just like Sprout was; in fact, their appearance is so similar it's kind of freaky. And for as much as Tiger looks like Sprout, he sounds even more like his predecessor ... yep, Tiger has the famous (or infamous, as the case may be) rolling, howly beagle bark. If you've ever heard a beagle bark, you know exactly what I mean ... all beagles seem to share that one trait that makes you know they are beagles. No other dog's bark sounds like a beagle bark; it's definitely a differentiating factor between beagles and other dogs.

Last night as Ollie and I headed out for our walk in the darkness that seems to come so much more quickly now that fall has arrived, I could hear Tiger long before I could see him. As Ollie and I neared the end of the street, we were met by Tiger and his owners. Ollie isn't afraid of much in this world, but he's definitely more than a little timid around Tiger ... actually, it's more Tiger's bark that my little wiener dog fears. While Ollie cowered behind my legs and Tiger let loose a symphony of beagle barks, Tiger's owners apologized over and over for their ill-mannered little beagle. And that's when it happened ... that's when I said some words that were so profound, words that have so much more meaning than I knew when they departed my lips, words that I cannot shake from my mind no matter how much I try.

"Don't apologize," I said softly. "He's just being a beagle, that's all ... he's just being a beagle."

Just being a beagle, that's all ... Tiger was just being a beagle. The more I've thought about those words ... well ... the more I've thought about those words. When Tiger was born, he didn't have to decide or choose if was going to be a beagle rather than a German shepherd or a terrier or a lab or a Pomeranian. And he also didn't get to choose whether he would be a dog rather than a cat. He's a beagle, plain and simple ... Tiger is a beagle. He looks like a beagle, and he sounds like a beagle because he is a beagle. And because he is a beagle, last night he was just being a beagle from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail ... Tiger was just being a beagle. And the truth is that Tiger couldn't be a cat or a different breed of dog no matter how hard he tried ... because he's a beagle just as God created him to be.

I've wondered so many times as to why God chooses to teach me certain lessons in the ways that He does, and I've questioned Him so many times as to why He even wants to for that matter. See here's the thing ... Tiger wasn't trying to hurt me or Ollie last night, not even for a moment was he trying to hurt us or eat us or do anything to harm us in any way. Tiger was just being a beagle, that's all ... the pup was just being a beagle.

I think I'll leave you with your thoughts for tonight, and I'll take mine with me. Sleep well, friends ... sleep well. 


1 comment:

Sonya said...

And just like God intended, Tiger is very happy to be a beagle. And, his dog-loving, not-breed, but dog-loving family, friends and neighbors love him because he is always happy with his beagle-self. And those same people that love Tiger - will protect, encourage, push and fight for him to always feel okay with being a beagle...and to proudly and happily use his beagle bark to warn of danger, protect from harm, encourage to keep playing and just say "I love you crazy-people family"! And, this is why God put Tiger on the earth...as...a...beagle.