Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Kiss

First, for those of you who are reading tonight thinking I have another confession to make or that you're in for some spicy romantic drama of some sort, sorry to disappoint you but that's not what this post is about. Tonight's post has nothing to do with any kind of controversial topic or lifestyle or behavior or anything even remotely related to dating or romantic love in any way. Again, sorry to disappoint you if you were perhaps hoping for a little dirt this evening. Tonight's post is about one thing and one thing only ... love. In fact, to be completely honest, it sort of ticks me off a bit that so many people are now so over-the-top interested in whether or not I'm seeing anyone. Before I posted my New Year's Day entry, nobody really gave a rip whether or not I was dating or if I was lonely or if I ever thought I would be in a relationship again. And honestly, I think that just plain old sucks ... and speaks volumes about the judgment we so quickly level against those who are "different."

Growing up in the South meant a lot of things, one being that it was bad manners to greet or say goodbye to family and friends without giving them a hug or a kiss on the cheek or, if you were extremely well-mannered, both. To this day, when I go home to Tennessee, that's the way we greet and part ... well, that coupled with a hearty, "Hey!" to say hello and "You gone?" to say goodbye. Even after living in the Midwest for more than 20 years, my natural instinct when I say hello or goodbye to my family and friends is to hug and kiss them ... I don't because that's not the way it's done here, but I think that way of greeting and saying goodbye will forever feel natural to me. 

I find it more than interesting that though my children weren't raised in the South, somewhere along the line they learned a lot of Southern traditions as they were growing up. It's not like we spent a ton of time in Tennessee over the years ... other than week-long trips back there once a year, my kiddos weren't around their Southern relatives long enough to pick up a lot of the customs that growing up Southern teaches someone. And yet, as I said, somewhere along the line they got it ... especially when it comes to the hugging and kissing way for greetings and goodbyes ... they totally and completely got it.

I've noticed something about my kids over the last couple of years ... something big, at least to me it's big anyway. My kids no longer simply hug me when they say hello or goodbye, they kiss me as well. I've got to tell you, friends, it's pretty flipping sweet when they do it, too. So sweet, in fact, that it's sort of like a gift to me from them ... an undeserved gift, for sure, but one that means so very much to me. I don't remember that my children kissed me as much before as they do now, and as I thought about that this afternoon, I thought about my mom and how I kissed her more as she and I grew older. Perhaps my children have learned, as I did, that there are no guarantees we will be together for another day. Perhaps they have come to understand that our lives can change in the blink of an eye. Perhaps they have developed a deep desire for making sure I know they love me. The truth is that the whys don't matter ... what matters is that my children feel comfortable in expressing their love for me in such a meaningful and tangible manner.

The kiss ... maybe that's what we all should do when we say hello or goodbye to someone we love. Think about it ... maybe, just maybe, we should learn a lesson or two from my family and friends in the South. Maybe we should learn a lesson or two from my kids. See, here's the thing ... those kinds of hugs and those types of kisses aren't about the hugs and kisses at all ... they are about respect and honor. They are about a pure and honest love that is forever faithful and true.

So, go ahead ... pucker up and kiss someone tomorrow ... it may just be the best thing you do all day, it may just be indeed.

No comments: