Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Sweetest Sound

On Wednesday evening, my phone rang. I know to most of you that seems rather stupid that it would be a big huge deal to me that my phone rang on a Wednesday evening ... so big that I would begin a post by telling you that on Wednesday evening, my phone rang. But indeed my phone ringing on a Wednesday evening, or really any evening for that matter, is such a big, big, big deal to me that I just told you about it four times. You see, I rarely get calls in the evening ... very rarely, in fact ... and when I do, it always frightens me because it makes me wonder if something is wrong with someone I love. But, back to Wednesday evening ... did I mention that my phone rang that evening?

When I picked my phone up off the table next to my couch and saw that it was Matt and Becca, I was instantly worried that one of them was sick or hurt. We usually Skype on Sunday evenings, and we had done just that earlier in the week. They use an Internet company for their phone service so that we don't have to pay international calling fees, and there is always a bit of lag time after I answer the phone before they can hear me and I can hear them. I've gotten used to it over the last year since they moved, so on Wednesday evening, I didn't think anything about hearing nothing but silence as I said, "Hello? Hello? Hello?" What I didn't expect when I could hear a voice on the line was my sweet little C.J. shouting, "Hi, Ghee! Hi, Ghee! Hi, Ghee!" And while the sound of her precious voice instantly brought a smile to my face, it was what she said after Matt told her to say what they had practiced that brought a rush of smiles racing into my heart. "Ghee Skype peas."  Trust me, I was on the computer faster than the speed of light and spent the next hour or so talking to Matt, Becca and the star of the show, C.J.

My phone has rung several times today, and each time, C.J. has had something big to tell me. You see, it's potty training weekend for the little princess, and Matt and Becca let her call and announce to me, "Boo pee pee potty!!" throughout the day. She wasn't booing peeing in the potty, by the way ... that's Matt and Bec's nickname for her, so that's what she calls herself. And as all grandmothers have the right to do, I have to brag on my genius granddaughter and tell you that today ... on only her second day of training ... my super genius granddaughter had no accidents at all and peed in the potty every single time! She's not even two years old yet, I might add ... a genius, I tell you, she truly is a genius. It means so much to me that Matt and Becca work diligently to keep me connected to C.J. and to include me in the big events of her life as much as possible. Though it may be through phone, email and Skype, they are great about making sure that my granddaughter knows and loves me, and that I am able to see and hear her on a weekly basis.

I'm kind of in a slump emotionally ... well, duh, right? Each time I heard C.J. say "Hi, Ghee!" today ... each time I listened as she said, "Boo pee pee potty," ... each time she said the words "Bye, Ghee," a bit of the sadness in my heart slipped away and was replaced with the love I feel for the sweetest little blonde-haired blue-eyed baby girl in the world. So thank you, Matt and Becca, for calling and emailing and Skyping with me, and for letting me be a part of C.J.'s life ... her voice is truly the sweetest sound on earth, and her adorable face and precious laughter are like medicine for my heart and soul. Please give her an extra big hug and kiss for me, and tell her how proud I am of her. I love you guys ... I love you so very much.  

No comments: