Thursday, September 24, 2015

Shake It Off

A couple of nights ago, I received a call from one of the sweetest ladies I've ever known. She's literally known me my entire life, and every time I see her or talk to her on the phone, she reminds me of how she used to stand at her kitchen window and watch my dad play ball with me in our back yard. Just typing those words, I can hear say in her strong Southern drawl, "We loved your mother and daddy so much, Terrie. Your daddy was a good, good man, honey ... I've never seen a daddy love a child the way your daddy loved you. And I miss your mother and think of how she would smile and laugh when we brought her biscuits and gravy from Hardee's. We sure did love your momma and daddy."

When Mom and Dad's longtime neighbor called the other night, it was the first time she didn't talk about how much she misses them or of me being the apple of Daddy's eye ... she called to let me know her beloved husband of many years had passed away last weekend. Tears filled my eyes as she spoke in a hushed voice ... she sounded so weary, so fragile, so sad. Those same tears splashed onto my shirt as she ended our call with the words, "I love you, sugar ... come see me sometime soon." I'm not sure how many years this dear woman and her sweet husband were my mom and dad's back yard neighbors, but I can't remember a time when they didn't live in the small white house. And tonight ... tonight, my heart aches for her as she grieves the loss of her compassionate, loving, gentle companion ... tonight, I wish I were back home in Tennessee wrapping my arms around her and telling her how very much she and her husband have meant to me and my family over the years.

Taylor Swift had two concerts in Kansas City this week, both to sold-out crowds at the Sprint Center downtown. I'd probably be a bigger Taylor fan if I still had a teenage daughter living at home ... I guess Ms. Swift is an incredibly huge hit with that group ... young teenage girls. I'm really only familiar with one of her songs, the wildly popular Shake It Off, and ... true confession time ... I'm only familiar with that particular song because Coraline and Amelie most definitely get their dance groove on and quite literally "shake it up." The hype leading up to the concerts was huge, and the people who had tickets were over-the-top excited for the night to arrive. Three of my friends went to the concert, two of the three with their young teenage daughters. All three of my friends were in agreement that the concert was great, but I must admit that I'm struck at the differences in their description of the event.

My first friend when I asked how the concert was replied with a simple, "It was great, very fun!" My second friend spoke for several minutes about a short speech Taylor directed to the young girls in the audience about being themselves and looking out for each other instead of backbiting and bickering. My third friend, however, posted her description of the concert on her Facebook page today ...

"Taylor Swift concert takeaways: 1.) Tell people, your family, your friends, and those you influence, that you love them. 2.) Be vulnerable, with people you love and whom you influence. 3.) Don't let people's opinion of you change who and how you are. It's easy to throw criticisms from the sidelines of life. It takes courage to bare it all on the world's stage."

Those are beautiful and challenging words, friends ... words that immediately made me think of the sweet elderly couple who lived just across the yard from Mom and Dad ... words that made me appreciate even more the love they shared for each other and for those of us who've been blessed to know them. Knowing the two of them, I'm quite certain the last words they spoke to one another before they went to bed on what would be his final night on this earth were, "I love you." I know they were vulnerable with each other and with others because I witnessed that vulnerability firsthand. Though there were those who thought they shouldn't marry following the passing of his first wife and her first husband, they disregarded those opinions and subsequently had decades of happiness together that they would have never experienced had they allowed those outside opinions to change who they were or how they chose to live. And courage? Two of the most courageous folks I've ever known ... without a doubt.

When I messaged my friend to ask her permission to quote her in tonight's post, she replied with the words I'm going to leave you with tonight. Read them more than once and let them soak into your hearts and minds. And take care of one another, friends ... be kind to one another ... love one another. Tomorrow would be my mom's 96th birthday ... tell people you love them, friends ... tell them often, because you may not get another chance. Be vulnerable ... just be you ... just be awesome, irreplaceable you.

"And I was encouraged as someone who feels all the way, all the time, to continue to allow myself to be vulnerable even if it means being broken wide open by life. 'The crack is what lets the light in.'"


2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are all cracked pots! Let your light shine! I love you Terrie! What a fitting tribute and full of wisdom! I'm sure I could hear that sweet woman's voice . . . both times you described her voice. What a loving person you are Terrie. And you hit the nail on the head every time about what matters in this life. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I lost my mom last week and somehow these words seem extra special. Thank you, Terrie...