Friday, August 28, 2015

May I Please Be Excused?

As I thought about my subject matter for this evening's post, I realized it's been quite a while since I began a post with the words, "Tonight's post comes with a disclaimer," ... and honestly, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I suppose, like most everything else in life, it's a matter of perspective. My posts that begin with a disclaimer are certainly among the most real and raw that I write, and there are those who would argue that writing from that place of realness and rawness is when I do my best writing. There are others, however, who cringe when they click on one of my posts and see a disclaimer at the beginning ... they don't want real and raw, they want light and entertaining. Which brings me back to my original contemplation as to whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that it's been a while since I began a post with a disclaimer. Perhaps that's the place where I should begin this evening's post ... from the place of contemplating whether or not my words this evening should come with a disclaimer. Perhaps that's a decision that can and should be made only by you.

It always freaks me out a little ... or a lot ... when I've been rolling a post over in my mind for a while and the very same day that I finally decide I'm brave enough to write it, I am bombarded with situations and conversations that make me wonder if everyone around me is reading my mind. Like today when I heard someone say, "I'll take whatever I can get because I just want to be a part of his life," or an ad I saw that said, "Today is the day of no more excuses," or an email that said, "I'm the one who always calls her, if I didn't, we would never talk," or a friend who told me, "I love him to a fault." And when my friend said those words ... "I love him to a fault," that's when my freak-out mode went into overdrive. Want to know why? Because I've been thinking about a title for tonight's post for a couple of weeks and had narrowed it down to two choices ... yep, "To a Fault" was one of those two. If that doesn't give you goosebumps, I don't know what will.

I've come to realize something about myself over the last month or so, or maybe some of the stuff my life-saving head doctor has been trying to get me to understand finally sunk in. One of those truths about myself is this: I am too loyal and too trusting, and more often than not, that makes me very gullible and naive. I know that's considered to be a bad thing these days ... being loyal and trusting to a fault ... and maybe it is. In all honesty, believing in people is way, way easier for me than entertaining the very remote possibility that the people I care about may not feel the same way toward me. In fact, that's so painful for me that instead of admitting it is more likely a reality rather than a possibility, I excuse people over and over and over again for taking advantage of my trust and for taking my loyalty for granted. I make excuses for them ... not reasons ... excuses. I make excuses for them when what I should do is accept the reality of what is ... I should stop making excuses for them, and I should start believing that I deserve better. So much easier written than done, my friends ... so much easier written than done.

So about the disclaimer ... I suppose I've stepped on a few toes tonight and maybe made you think about some things that make you uncomfortable. May I please be excused? No, I don't want to be excused ... I want to be me, and I want me being me to be good enough. I want to keep believing in people ... I want to keep trusting people ... I want to be loyal and committed and honest and true. I don't want to be excused at all, friends ... I don't want to be excused at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm remaining anonymous because I work with you. I didn't know about your blog until a few weeks ago when I heard some people talking about it in the kitchen at lunch and so I checked it out. Now the first thing I do every morning is look to see if you've written a new post and I'm disappointed when you don't. That's a lot coming from me because I'm not a reader and never have been but your posts have me hooked.

You are the heart of the company and I hope you never leave. Every one there should take a lesson from you on letting people know they matter and you care about them because you do it everyday from your heart. I think you're great Terrie and thank you for always being there for all the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Me too on being anonnymous for the same reason as the person before me. And me too on what that person said and I'm piggybacking on their words (of which I agree with all of them). You have been and are the most welcoming and friendly person at work hands down. You're the best at proofing but your remarkable is how you make every single person feel loved and appreciated and that's what really matters most. Last week I heard someone talk about how you used to randomly say it was National Hug a Terri day and go around hugging people at their desks before holidays. I'd like to see that! Thanks for all you do and for loving us and SHS the way you do. And keep the blogs coming because I read them at breakfast!