Sunday, August 23, 2015

Once Upon a Poem

There are some things about social media that ... well ... there are some things about it that just plain old suck. Sorry to those of you who despise the word suck, but sometimes it really is the perfect word to describe how really lousy something is. When people use social media to bully, shame or humiliate other people, that sucks big time. Or when they use it to bash people who believe differently than they do about anything and everything you could possibly imagine ... like the folks who believe that people who eat margarine are bringing about the downfall of traditionally accepted societal norms ... or the margarine-eaters who believe that weirdos like me who consume real butter are most certainly the cause of global warming, anarchy and the soon coming end of the world as we know it. Yep, the bullying and bashing, and the people who do either of those, most definitely rank at the top of my things about social media that just plain old suck list for sure.

But there are some totally awesome things about social media as well ... things that make you feel all warm and cozy inside ... things that make you believe you really can climb that mountain ... things that make you let loose with a good old deep belly laugh. Perhaps one of the best things the explosion of social media has brought to old folks like me is that it's provided us with a relatively easy way to contact friends and family members with whom we've lost touch over the years ... just a few days ago, I received a friend request from a gal I went to kindergarten with more than 50 years ago. There's simply no denying the coolness factor in reestablishing old friendships from the past and catching up on the widely varied paths our lives have taken. And, in the spirit of being open, honest, real and transparent, there's also no denying something else ... it gives my often nearly nonexistent self-esteem a boost to know that not only do my friends from long ago remember me, they take the time and make the effort to contact me.

A couple of months ago, I received a friend request from a woman who had a tremendous impact on me during my teenage years, and quite honestly, I was super surprised to hear from her. Want to know why? Because I was an obnoxious brat when I was a teenager ... I know that's hard for most of you to believe, but it's true. Though I gave her every reason in the world not to be, this woman was overwhelmingly patient with me during those years ... from piano lessons to boy troubles to school complaints, she was always patient, kind and understanding. I remember her asking me a ton of questions, but even more important, I remember her actually listening to my answers and truly caring about what I had to say. Needless to say, I accepted this dear lady's friend request immediately, and I've so enjoyed chatting with her over the last few weeks. And get this ... she still actually listens and truly cares about what I have to say.

I don't think I really realized just how far back my love of rhyming poetry went until a week or so ago when I opened an envelope I received in the mail from my old friend. Inside was a poem I had written for her and her husband and two sons when they moved away to another city ... a long, rhyming poem carefully scribed onto white paper with a blue ink fountain pen. Hot tears coursed down my cheeks as I read the words I had placed on the paper so many years ago ... words of love and friendship and gratitude. I finished reading the poem and shifted my attention to the note my friend had included with the poem ... yep, I was crying like a baby.

"You had a way with words even as a teenager."

See here's the thing ... my friend kept that poem for more than 40 years. Let me say that again ... my friend kept the poem written by this formerly obnoxious teenager for more than 40 years. Maybe it's not to you, but that's a big deal to me. And it's a big deal to me because it means that my poem meant something ... that my words meant enough for her to hang on to it for all those years. That's really, really cool ... that she kept the poem I wrote tucked away in her house for more than 40 years ... but what's so much more awesome than keeping my poem is that she kept me tucked away in her heart for all those years ... that she didn't forget me ... that I still matter enough to her for her to want to be my friend. With the simple act of sending the poem and the note to me, my friend let me know that she's still listening and that she still cares. 

One simple act of kindness and encouragement ... once upon a poem, friends ... once upon a poem indeed.





2 comments:

Peggy P. said...

There are no words to express my feelings after reading your blog. I had reread that poem over the years, remembering a time when things were new, exciting, and full of hope. Things have changed but I remember that "obnoxious" teenager who was so soft inside that she would rather die than admit it. Your writing shows that softness, caring, and compassion for others. I count it a privilege to be called your friend. Please continue to share your insights with us. We need you.

M Landtiser said...

Terrie,
I just recently was able to get a letter to a friend of mine that was dying of cancer that I dated for two and a half years in high school. We are in our fifties now and I haven't seen him for fifteen years. I was able to tell him how much he had meant to me at that time in my life and how I carry a bit of him in my heart everywhere I go because a girl never forgets her first true love and heart ache. He passed away five days after receiving my letter but his sister said it meant a great deal to him to receive it and he put my senior picture on his memory board. If only more people would tell others how much they mean to them, the world would be such a kinder, more compassionate place to be. I'm glad I was able to remind him of some good memories and let him know he will never be forgotten. I prayed for peace and comfort for him in his final days. Your words mean a lot to all of us, don't ever stop writing! I look forward to reading this blog weekly!