Friday, April 8, 2011

The Eyes Have It

Recently I was watching Criminal Minds (one of my favorite television programs, by the way) and my favorite character, Penelope Garcia (the gal who does all the incredible computer research that often leads to the identity of the "unsub" the team is searching for) delivered a line that has been stuck in my brain ever since I heard it. She said to Derek Morgan (the guy that she's been not-so-secretly in love with since the show began), "A girl could lose herself in your eyes forever. She could step into the chasm of your love and never leave." Wow. Wow. Wow. So much meaning in those words on so many different levels. Let me say it again. Wow.

I've always been an eye person ... the first thing I notice about someone is their eyes. I notice the color of the person's eyes, of course, but I see so many other things as well. I believe the old saying that the eyes are the window to the soul is quite true, perhaps more true than I ever realized. The window allows me to see the glow of permeating joy, the sadness of overwhelming sorrow, the twinkle of lasting happiness, the ache of physical suffering. The truth is that they speak volumes if I take the time to look ... to really, really look ... into the eyes of those around me. If I slow down and look into another person's eyes, I can get a glimpse into their heart and gaze into the depths of their soul.

Last night as I walked along the trail with Julie, I heard someone calling my name and I looked up to see an old friend I haven't seen for several months. We had only chatted for a couple of minutes when she said, "Your eyes look burdened, my friend, burdened and sad." Tears filled my eyes as I looked down at the ground and nodded my head. When my friend asked if I wanted to talk, I shook my head no, and she said, "Then you just rest for a bit, and I'm going to pray." My tears splashed onto the pavement of the trail as she took my hand and prayed, not for my burden to be lifted but for both of us to look deeply into the eyes of God ... to seek His heart ... to search His will ... to be His vessels to others in need. After a parting hug, I walked home thinking about God's eyes ... looking deeply into His eyes ... seeking His very soul.

Lord, help me to get lost in Your eyes forever ... to walk into the chasm of Your love and never leave. Make my eyes be Yours, Father, to see the world around me as You do ... make my eyes be Yours, Father, so that when others look into them, they see only You through the window to my soul. 









No comments: