Monday, April 18, 2011

Judgment Call

Ever have a week that you could have just done without? You know ... a week when you find yourself dreading the week that's ahead because you're afraid it may be a repeat of the lousy week you just experienced. A week when you just can't seem to do anything right no matter how hard you try. A week when it seems like your dogs are the only creatures on earth who love you unconditionally. Sure you have ... we all have those weeks from time to time but hopefully, they are the exception rather than the rule.

Last week was that week for me times about a thousand. I won't even begin to share details; in fact, there's only one part of the week that I can't seem to get out of my head. The rest of the week I'm trying to simply forget. But the part that I can't stick on a shelf or throw out with the trash ... that part bears some contemplation and some commentary and perhaps even a bit of controversial discussion from you, my loyal readers.

Four differing situations last week warranted ... at least in the various people's minds who were involved ... me being reprimanded, chewed out, griped at, given a stern talking to, or whatever other tasty terminology one would ascribe to such events. Again, not sharing details and also willingly admitting that one of those chewings I rightfully deserved, one of the confrontations has weighed heavily on my heart for several days now. As is so often the case when faced with things in life that make me uncomfortable, I believe the reason this particular conversation keeps hanging on in my mind is because God has a lesson to teach me, a time of growth to bestow upon me, a change He wishes to bring about in the way I think and respond to others.

Each evening when I walk, I listen to music on my iPod ... mainly Christian music (with a little John Denver thrown in, of course) from a wide range of artists, some new and contemporary and some really old school. As I was walking last week, someone texted me and said they passed me on the trail as they drove by, but that I didn't hear their horn honking because I had my earphones in. She asked who I was listening to, and I answered with the artist's name. I then received a scathing text in return insisting that I shouldn't be supporting that certain artist, questioning the validity of my faith because I listened to her music, and suggesting that I'd better be getting my heart right with the Lord. Tears filled my eyes as I entered my response ... "Sorry you feel that way. Have a good evening."

Her beef with the artist? Last year, she declared that she was gay and had been in a relationship with another woman for several years. And let me say that I'm not going to get involved in any way, shape, form or fashion in any discussion about the wrong or right of homosexuality ... that's not what this post is about. The truth is that this gal is a great singer, and the lyrics to her songs, especially those penned in her earlier years, bring me right into the presence of my God ... I worship, truly worship, when I sing along to her music. And to be honest, my worship time on the trail is MY worship time on the trail ... no one else's to judge or critique or condemn ... my worship time is between me and God, and no one else.

Yes, I'm still stinging from the person's words, but I will give her credit for a couple of things ... her words have made me think deeply about my faith over the last few days and caused me to revisit God's Word to see how Jesus treated others. The truth? Jesus spent most of His time with people whom the religious leaders condemned ... a tax collector, a prostitute, a thief, a liar, a woman caught in adultery. In fact, he called the guys who thought they were so religious "whitewashed tombs" ... they looked great on the outside while their insides reeked of death.

Those of you who read this blog are aware that I've been walking through the desert for the last few months ... a lonely, dry desert. There is so much truth to the statement that it's in the tough times that you find out who your true friends are ... that's when you discover who will stay by your side through thick and thin, and who will leave you sick, alone and hurting by the side of the road. And as much as it pains me to say so, some of the people who have stayed by me are the very ones that my Christian friends would condemn. The last few days have made me realize something as I never have before ... more than anything, I want to love as Jesus loves, to accept as He accepts, to comfort as He comforts, to help as He helps ... without apology, without regret, without pretense.

I know this is a long post, and I apologize for the scope of my dissertation. It seems to me, however, that sometimes you've just gotta say what God lays on your heart to say and let the chips fall where they may. One thing about being by yourself in the desert is that you don't worry or care so much about chips anymore ... you focus more on what's really important ... like water ... living, holy, life-saving water. Even though it's already quite lengthy, I'm going to close this post with some lyrics to a song ... a song that often causes me to go to my knees.

"From glass alabaster, she poured out the depths of her soul. Oh, foot of Christ, would you wait if her harlotry's known? Falls a tear to darken the earth, of humblest offerings to forgive the hurt. She is strong enough to stand in Your love, I can hear her say, 'I am weak; I am poor; I am broken, Lord, but I'm Yours. Hold me now, hold me now. Let he without sin cast the first stone if you will. To say that My bride isn't worth half the blood that I've spilled ... She is strong enough to stand in Your love, I can hear her say, 'I am weak; I am poor; I am broken, Lord, but I'm Yours. Hold me now, hold me now.'"


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is perhaps my favorite of all your posts; however, the itchy arm pits made me laugh out loud! I love the fact that you pointed out the imperfect people that God loved in the Bible stories. We all should follow Jesus' example, love one another, I don't see an exception in that statement.

Anonymous said...

where in the desert are you?

Terrie Johnson said...

Dear Anonymous ... I think you may find the answer to your "where" question in an upcoming post. At least I think that may be where God is leading me.

Thanks once again for the kind words, and thank you for reading. Maybe someday, you'll tell me who you are!

Shasty said...

Well if your friend feels that listening to something from a person who is a sinner well I guess they won't like me either...I too am a sinner.

Jesus loved us, sinners, enough to DIE for each of us and we are instructed over and over to love one another as He loves us. He doesn't instruct us to love the sin...that's a silly idea since obviously we already like sin, or we wouldn't practice it so much.

A shame that someone can take something so simple and direct and make it so complicated and egotistical. It can't be about us beacuse it should always, ALWAYS be about HIM!

Brad said...

I'm going to offer an ecomonic analysis of the issue at large in your post.

In economics there are three types of goods, luxury, normal, and inferior. Music is a normal good, which just means that the more money you make, the more you music you listen to. If christians should not be consuming music produced by homosexuals because it is not in accordance with God's will, one can logistically deduce that all normal goods derived from homosexuals should be banned by the christian church for consumption by its members. If you ban all normal goods produced with homosexual inputs (labor or other products derived from homosexual labor), it is impossible to discern "holy" from "unholy" between products on the grocery shelves, because that information is not listed (much like your major clothes manufacturers don't tell you if they use child slavery... or blood diamonds). Therefore Christians should be advised that they are in danger of the fires of hell unless they make all of their own food and clothing and electronics because God knows where they come from and the person growing that ear of corn you just consumed, could be a homosexual poisoning your chances of attaining heaven upon death. Therefore the Christian church would urge its members to starve and go naked during the winter, causing the Christian population to cease existence in a matter of seasons.

The hypocrisy is ludicrous. If that person truly believes their doctrine they would not enter Wal-Mart on moral grounds, however their church buys things from Wal-Mart which not only sells products produced with homosexual inputs, it actually donates a portion of profits to gay/lesbian alliances. Apparently even God has a softspot for low prices rolling back.

allie :^) said...

i am about to say this is my new fave post too...though i still rem make me a goose lord... what is it with birds? :) you've made it a tough choice lady!

but this one, this one...you were gut-wrenchingly honest and real, which gets my vote every time! :)

i loved it best when you said you just wanna be like jesus. no pretense, just love. no casting stones, just walking that trail towards him.

so many things we have shared during this, your wilderness season. :) i am privileged to have made footprints in the sand next to yours these past few weeks and months. and we both have a special reverence for that trail. yet another bond we share.

i still don't think this deserves alot of bad press or negative hype. no fuss from me!

ok i was trying to guess the artist. i was gonna say lady gaga, but she hasn't been around for years, and i guess she is not a christian artist. :) for the record, i'm a gaga fan! :)

when it comes down to it, we all stand alone. i mean at the end, the final chapter, the last page, the last day or scene or moment or however one wants to artistically envision it, we all...stand...alone...before him.

it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks...or feels...or believes. it is just you and god on that day. that's it. just you and him. whether or not you listened to a gay artist will matter little, i think.

what will matter most is your heart towards him...how you walked that trail...how you loved. how you friended. how you served!!!!!!

no pretenses. just you and jesus. :)

i love you lady. you know how much! :) but, not like that. ha ha! remember that one? :)

is my comment longer than brad's?

Tamara Brinckman said...

Terrie, if I didn't know better, I would swear that I wrote this "Judgement Call" post! (But then someone might call me out for both swearing and plagarizing your thoughts and I, too, might have the validity of my faith questioned.)

One thing has been deeply encouraging to me. I know that many people do not and will not ever understand me. What makes me tick. Who I am to my very core. They will only see my outward mistakes and not my heart. Even those who sympathize/empathize or accept me as I am will still never know me and my heart the way that my Savior does.

And trust me. You are not alone in the desert or in wondering how you got there and how to get out. I think so many of us find ourselves there but can't see each other. Or God at times. The enemy creates mirages-illusions that distort light.

Some other random thoughts about deserts (cuz it's late and I don't really know what to say but just want to "hang out" with you for awhile longer):

A desert is a place without expectation.

One might have to live in the desert before they can understand the full value of grass in a green ditch.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

An ordinary desert supports a much greater variety of plants than does either a forest or a prairie.

Love you, Terrie!

Anonymous said...

good post...all of the comments are great!