Thursday, April 7, 2011

Yo, M and B

Last Sunday, I drove over an hour to go to church. And no, I don't normally drive that far to go to church; in fact, I live five minutes from the church I attend. But last Sunday, I drove over an hour to go to church ... a church in a small town ... a church filled with people who love my daughter ... a church where my future son-in-law is the pastor.

It was a little surreal, to be honest, to see my daughter in her role as the future wife of the minister of the church. My eyes filled with tears as I sat with my arm around her ... to see her so mature and comfortable with the people in the church, while at the same time seeing her as my little girl ... it was more than a bit emotional for me to say the least. As she sang the special music selection, my mind flew back to countless choir concerts ... to her singing at the top of her lungs in her room upstairs ... to her solo at one of my speaking engagements. So many memories ... so many, many memories.

As Barrett began to preach, I remembered the first time I met him at Manhattan Christian College where he was my son Matt's discipleship group leader. I thought of the times he stayed at my house ... of long talks that he and I have had down through the years ... of how quickly I grew to love him like a son. I blinked and blinked and blinked to hold back the tears as he spoke ... and I remembered.

After church, person after person came to introduce themselves to me, including the 80-year-old organist ... a sweet little white-haired gal who reminded me so much of my mom. Barrett and Meghann then gave me a tour of the house where they will soon live as husband and wife, and I climbed into my car to drive home as they headed to the Lions Club for an all-church lunch. To say that I spent my time on the way home deep in thought is by all means an understatement. And I've been thinking about writing this blog since that drive home ... rolling over in my mind what I wanted to say. So here it is, Meg and Barrett ... this is what I want to say.

We've had some ups and downs over the years, as do all families. I've watched the two of you weather tough times together, and I've seen your love for each other grow and deepen. I've seen you laugh together and watched as you ate sushi with more gusto than anyone I know. I love each of you apart from one another, and I love the two of you together as a couple. The one overriding thought I had as I sat in church? Meghann and Barrett fit here ... here with one another, here in this church, here in this town, here with these people.

Meggers ... I love you, kiddo, and I'm proud of the woman you've become, and I know beyond the shadow of any doubt that you'll be an incredible wife to Barrett. And Barrett ... I love you, young man, and I pray that you know that. I'm as sure as sure can be that you will care for, love and respect my daughter as her husband.

Yo, M and B ... the wedding is right around the corner ... soon you will be Mr. and Mrs. I love you both ... and I always, always will.

1 comment:

allie :^) said...

another sniff sniff post. :) and i mean that sincerely. i love how you made the distinction that you love them together as a unit and also individually. for some reason, that struck me as profound. :)

megs as a pastor's wife. didn't see that one coming! :)