Friday, June 10, 2011

Liquid Love

Earlier this year, a couple of friends of mine sold pretty much everything they owned, raised support money, quit their jobs, and headed to Africa to become full-time missionaries. What began as two-week missions trips with their church for several years eventually evolved into God leading them to take some major steps of faith and be willing to follow Him wherever He took them. Each month, these friends publish a newsletter that they mail to supporters, family and friends, and each month, they give me the honor of having the first read of that newsletter so that I can check their copy for errors. And almost each time I read their words, tears flow down my cheeks as I recognize that they are doing some truly awesome work for the Kingdom.

The most recent newsletter I edited for my friends talked about water ... the lack of it, the need to purify it, the lifesaving gift of it. As I read, I couldn't help but think of how much I take water for granted ... all I have to do is turn on the faucet or grab a bottle from the fridge. As I've written so often in this blog, I don't think God brings anything into my life by accident but that everything is part of His plan for me ... and many, many times, He has a lesson He wants me to learn, a truth He wants to impart to me. So I don't believe it was any sort of accident or coincidence that a couple of nights after I read my friends' newsletter about water, I had a water encounter of my own out on the walking trail.

Ollie and I have been walking later at night because it's been so hot and humid out here on the Plains (not as hot as back home in my beloved Tennessee, though ... bless my family and friends' hearts), and I've been sure to tank up on water each evening before we head out. I carry a bottle of water along with me for Ollie, and we stop at a water fountain (complete with a little fountain down near the ground for the canine walkers) to grab an extra drink along the way. But one night this past week, we were a good distance from home when I realized that I had forgotten to bring Ollie's water. He was panting and walking slowly, and was obviously in need of some fluid in a hurry. Wondering how I was going to carry my 20-pound wiener dog the mile and a half back home with my injured shoulder, I was about to kneel down and pick him up when a woman and two teenagers approached us on their bicycles.

As much as I don't believe things happen by chance, I'm also not one to see a miracle around every corner either. But those folks on those bikes ... they were nothing short of at least a little miracle. Stopping next to Ollie and me, the woman reached into a bag she had around her shoulder and pulled out ... yep, a bottle of water. "You and your pup look like you could use some cold water," she said, smiling broadly. "We just happen to have some extra bottles here if you'd like one." Looking at the two young people with her, my eyes brimmed with tears as I reached for the bottle and stooped over to pour some into my hand for Ollie. "Thank you so much," I said, trying to blink away the emotion that was washing over me as Ollie gulped the cold water from my palm. "I forgot to bring his water tonight, and I was wondering how I was going to get him all the way home without a drink," I said. Assuring me that it was their pleasure to help us, the three waved and continued their ride along the trail.

Finishing our walk after stopping a couple of more times for Ollie to take a drink from my hand, I thought about the kindness of the strangers I had just met ... and I thought about my friends in Africa. I thought about God's Word that talks about offering a cup of cold water in His name. The gift of cold, clean water ... to a gray-haired gal and her dog in Kansas ... to men and women and children on the other side of the world. Tears once again filled my eyes as I recognized the scope and enormity of God's far-reaching power ... He knows my thirst, your thirst, the thirst of all humanity.

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.” Matthew 10:42



No comments: