Sunday, June 5, 2011

Upon This Rock

One of my favorite things about being an editor is when I get to research the meanings of words or phrases to determine if they are used in the accurate context and with the most correct definition. Sometimes I spend a great deal of time performing that research, and quite often I am surprised at the information I uncover. For example, do you know the definitive difference between a rock and a stone? Neither did I until I started looking into it.

Let me back up for a moment and explain why I spent a couple of hours this afternoon reading about rocks and stones. I was exhausted when I got home late last night from my speaking engagement, and my shoulder was throbbing like crazy. I took care of my doggies, took a pain pill and hit the sack. The medication took the edge off of my pain enough that I was able to sleep for a few hours, but then I woke up in the wee hours of the morning hurting again. I got up and soaked in the tub for a while, put some ice on the achy spot, walked the floor for a bit and then decided to take another pill hoping it would give me some relief. I went back to bed and woke up about 10 this morning ... even the dogs slept in today; perhaps they knew I needed the extra sleep.

I had a late breakfast and since I had missed church, I grabbed my Bible and my iPod and headed over to the creek behind the walking trail. Choosing my favorite spot on some rocks close to the water, I spent an hour or so listening to worship music and reading from God's Word. As I stood to head home, my attention was drawn to the large rocks on the side of the creek. I began to think about Jesus' words to Peter in Matthew 16 ... "And I say also unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." And that's when I started wondering about why Jesus called Peter a rock and what the difference was between a rock and a stone.

The more I read about rocks and stones, the more fascinated I was with Jesus' choice in comparing Peter to a rock. Rocks are hard materials that are found on the earth's crust, either above or below the surface. Rocks are large and heavy, and they cannot be carried in one person's hand. Rocks are normally immovable, requiring great effort to transport them from one place to another. Jesus knew that Peter would eventually deny Him three times, but He also knew that Peter would be the founder of the church ... that He was to be the rock upon which the church would have its beginnings ... made from tough materials and not easily moved. Wow ... upon this rock I will build my church ... wow.

As if that weren't enough insight for me for one day, get this ... rocks are made up of stones, and stones are small pieces of rock. Stones are easily transported and carried in a person's hand. Stones hold the same strength as rocks, but because they are smaller in size, they can be used in many ways. Again ... wow. It amazes me how God ties everything together in His Word, how one small word can carry such significant meaning. Peter was the rock the church was built upon, but he was also the rock that was made up of all the stones ... and the stones were all small pieces of the rock.

I think maybe there was a reason I slept in this morning, and I think the reason goes far beyond me needing some extra rest. I think God wanted to speak to me this morning, one on one ... I think He wanted to make me think about what I'm part of and what I'm made of. I think He wanted me to remember where I came from and to wonder where I'm going. I think He wanted me to ... I think He just wanted me.

No comments: