Tuesday, August 30, 2011

First Love

There's probably not one person reading this post who doesn't remember their first crush ... whether it was directed toward someone you attended school with or a teacher or the kid who lived down the street or your camp counselor at YMCA day camp. I'm pretty sure that most of us can remember that pitter-patter of our hearts when the person who was the object of our affection was in the same room we were in ... or ... oh my goodness gracious ... if the person actually took notice of us, we simply melted. I'm also sure that many of us can well recall how devastated we were if our love fell into the unrequited category ... if the person who garnered our truest love and devotion didn't reciprocate our feelings, we were simply crushed. Come on ... you remember it, too ... don't even pretend that you don't.

The church I attend is blessed with many people who are musically talented, including our worship minister who leads the team of singers and musicians. Each week, they give of their time and talents to offer up an atmosphere of praise and worship and reverence as they direct our hearts and minds toward God. As is true with many things in life, some Sundays the music really pierces my soul and completely lays my heart open before the Lord. Last Sunday was one of those times ... every song spoke to me, and God whispered to me with each word. I fought so hard to hold back the tears, and yet they came as they so often do now during the worship times at church. And as I do so often now when I can't hide those tears, I lowered my head and covered my eyes ... humbled, weak, broken once again.

Though I've heard it many times, there was one song in particular last Sunday that spoke to the very core of my being. It's called "First Love," and if you haven't heard it, it's a powerful, powerful song. I haven't been able to get the lyrics out of my head or off of my heart ... and again, I've heard this song many times before in worship. Obviously, there's a reason why God has me pondering the words to the song ... you see, He always has a reason and a plan and a purpose for me. Even when I feel that I can't take another step or draw one more breath, He reminds me that He's my first love, my true love ... that He's truly the reason why I breathe. Even when I feel lost or alone or unworthy, He reminds me that He chose me ... He chose the cross ... that He loved me first. Even when I feel I have no direction or purpose, He reminds me that He sacrificed everything for me ... that He wants nothing less than all of me. That's what I would call the best first love of all, friends ... the best first love of all.

"My highest call, my greatest cause
Is loving You
Your perfect love has won my heart
Now I am Yours

Your sacrifice demands my life, and I will live to honor

Your holy name, the price You paid and so I sing

You're my first love, You're my true love

You're my reason, You are why I breathe
I will give You my devotion, all of me
All of me

You chose the cross, You chose me

Surrendered Your life, You chose me
Though I did not deserve, You chose me
So I choose to love just as You chose me
I put You first as You first loved me
I'll treasure Your grace as You died for me."



No comments: