Sunday, November 20, 2011

On the Move

My mom used to say, "Someday when you have children of your own, you'll understand." Funny ... Mom was right. I didn't understand fear until my children were sick or injured. I didn't understand happiness until my children said, "I love you, Mom." I didn't understand worry until my children were teenagers. I didn't understand sadness until my children were angry with me. I didn't understand joy until I saw my children smile. I didn't understand love until my children wrapped their arms around me. I didn't understand life until my children were born ... I didn't understand life at all until God blessed me with Matt, Brad and Meghann. Funny ... Mom was right.

Yesterday, I went to a baby shower for B.J. ... that's what we've been calling my future granddaughter ... Baby Johnson ... B.J. for short. There were the traditional shower events ... games, food and gifts. There were lots of gifts ... Matt and Becca are well-loved and have been blessed in receiving almost everything they need for their soon-to-arrive little girl. Perhaps the best gift of all was a baby bathtub in the shape of a large yellow duck that makes quacking sounds when you squeeze its orange bill. Matt and Becca's little dachshund Andy's favorite toys are rubber duckies, so I can only imagine what the tiny hound will think when he sees the giant duck.

Becca is blessed with wonderful parents (and Matt with wonderful in-laws), and as I sat there watching all the festivities yesterday, I breathed a prayer of thanks that little B.J. will have such awesome grandparents. They will love and spoil her and shower her with all the things a little girl deserves to have. They will pray for her every single day, and they will be shining examples of a strong and abiding faith in God. They are good people with good hearts, and I know that B.J. will be deeply loved and cherished by them. And as much as I've ever known anything in my life, I know that little girl deserves and needs wonderful grandparents who will be there for her through thick and thin.

I was completely overwhelmed when Becca placed my hand on her belly as little B.J. moved and turned ... I felt her moving ... my hand felt the miracle of life that is growing inside my precious daughter-in-law. As I drove home after the shower, tears streamed down my face ... my baby boy is having a baby of his own, and I felt her move ... I felt her move. She deserves so much love ... parents and aunts and uncles and cousins and grandparents who can give her that love ... the love that she so deserves.

So here's to you, little B.J. ... keep growing and moving and getting ready to meet all those who already love you ... all those who will lead you and teach you and guide you and love you forever ... all those who will be there for you, little girl ... here's to you, little B.J. ... here's to you.

No comments: