Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Breaking the Law, Sparkler Style

Every 4th of July for the last 22 years, it's been illegal to shoot fireworks in the suburb of Kansas City where I live. And every 4th of July for the last 22 years, people in the two neighborhoods where I've lived have shot fireworks. And every 4th of July for the last 22 years, I've wondered why no one ever seemed to get fined or arrested for shooting fireworks ... at least no one in my neighborhoods. And every 4th of July for the last 22 years, more than I've wondered why no one got fined or arrested, I've wondered why there would be a law about not doing something if no one ever gets in trouble for breaking that law. All day today, I've heard the pops and booms of fireworks being detonated, which is more surprising to me this year than ever before due to the extreme heat, the lack of rain and the dry conditions of the terrain here in Kansas City. In fact, I'm surprised that the city didn't cancel the big fireworks displays that were scheduled for this evening. But ... not only are the shows around town still on for the evening, people have been breaking the law all day, and I'm sure they will continue to do so until the wee hours of the morning.

Other than my snowball-making, run from the cops, spend the night in the Red Bank jail encounter, I've always been a law-abiding, upstanding citizen ... unless, of course, you count the two speeding tickets ... or the one I got for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign ... or getting pulled over a couple of weeks ago for hitting a curb when I was taking Brad and Shelby home. OK ... OK ... those were all car-related ... but other than those minor infractions, I respect and honor the laws of the land. It's hard for me to understand folks who willingly break the law ... especially for something as fleeting and temporary as fireworks. Perhaps my respect for the law is because of that one terrifying night I spent in the Red Bank slammer ... I don't ever want to be arrested again ... terrifying and traumatizing, I tell you ... terrifying and traumatizing.

In my musing about law breaking today, I couldn't help but think about conversations I had with three different people last week about legalism in regard to people of faith. It hurt my heart to hear them say that either they or someone they knew wanted nothing to do with the church or God because of legalistic, dogmatic judgment they had encountered from the very people who should be just the opposite ... people who should be demonstrating love, grace, compassion and mercy. It hurt my heart even more when they said that I am legalistic in my own faith ... that ... I ... am ... legalistic ... in ... my ... own ... faith. Those are hard words to hear, hard words to hear for sure. But get this ... they said I'm not legalistic in my faith toward others ... they said I'm legalistic in my faith toward myself. The more I've thought about those conversations, the more I know they are right ... I try so hard not to break the law that I can't see the unconditional love. If I had a nickel for every time one of my doctors has said the words, "You need to stop beating yourself up ... the only person who hates you is you," I'd be a rich, rich gal indeed.

I can only think of one way to end this post, and that's with God's Word ... in fact, I think God's Word is the best way to begin and end everything in life ... the best way indeed. Sleep well, friends, in spite of the lawbreakers in your neighborhood ... and I'm not talking about fireworks shooting ... think about it ... think long and hard about it.

"But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter." Romans 7:6

No comments: