Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Fishing Pole Drawl

A Zebco Little Fisherman from Zayre's Department Store ... that was my first fishing rod. I remember the Saturday evening we went shopping at the big store downtown, and Daddy bought that rod and reel for me. The rod was green with a silver reel and black rubber grip handle. I couldn't wait to go fishing, and I pestered the living daylights out of Daddy to take me on a weeknight rather than having to wait a whole week for another weekend to arrive, whining and begging and pouting as only a little girl can do. He finally relented on Tuesday, and as soon as he got home from work, we headed to the lake. Daddy put a worm on the hook, and he taught me how to cast the line as far as my tiny arm could throw it. When the sun began to dip behind the trees, Daddy said it was time to go home. I caught two small fish that night ... and from that evening forward, I was hooked on fishing (absolutely, pun intended).

I have no idea how many times I went fishing with my dad, but I do know that fishing was just a cover for him to spend time with me, to talk to me, to listen to me, to laugh with me, to cry with me. Fishing was our time ... and it wasn't until I was an adult with a child of my own that I understood that fishing with Daddy were some of the sweetest times of my life. Daddy had a way of always knowing when I was upset or lonely or sad or hurting, and he knew that if he took me fishing, I would talk and tell him what was troubling me. And Daddy would always have words of wisdom for me, words of comfort for me, words of direction and guidance for me. I can't remember one time when I didn't feel better after going fishing with Daddy ... I can't remember one time when those lakeside chats with him didn't help to heal my wounded heart and lift up my downtrodden spirit.  Yep ... those times tossing my line into the water and reeling in a fish or two were sweet times indeed, and I'd give everything I own for a chance to sit on the rocks at the lake with my dad one more time and tell him what's on my heart ... one more time to hear his Southern drawl as he spoke ... his sweet Southern fishing pole drawl.

I'm sure that most of you who are members of my generation grew up watching The Andy Griffith Show and that you remember at least some of the many scenes of Andy taking his son Opie fishing. And I'm sure that many of you would agree that the characters on the show ... Sheriff Andy, Deputy Barney, Opie, Aunt Bee, Gomer, Goober, Otis, Howard, Helen ... the characters are some of the most memorable in television history. I'm also sure that many of us who grew up in the South felt that the little town of Mayberry was much like our own, or at least what we wished our town was like. Andy Griffith passed away today at the age of 86, and when I read the news, I immediately thought of Andy and Opie and the many words of wisdom that Andy imparted to his son as they fished  ... words of wisdom delivered in his Southern drawl, his sweet Southern fishing pole drawl. I thought of Andy and Opie, and I thought of Daddy ... and I wondered if perhaps they have met in heaven ... and I wondered if there's fishing in heaven. Hmmm ... makes me think of something Jesus said.

 "Now as Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. And He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.' Immediately they left their nets and followed Him." Matthew 4:18-20

Be with Mr. Griffith's loved ones tonight, Father ... give them comfort and peace in their time of grief. 

 

No comments: