Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Sign

There's a lot of road construction going on in Kansas City, and honestly, it's a pain in the butt, especially for those of us who live south of the city and work downtown. The exit I normally take to get to my office is closed, along with several other exits as well. Did I mention that the road construction in KC is a real pain in the butt right now? Because my normal exit is closed, I have to get off of the interstate sooner than I normally would and make my way down a side street with several traffic lights. And almost every morning at a certain one of those lights, there is someone standing on the side of the street holding a sign. Sometimes, I see the same person for several mornings in a row, and other times, there is a different person holding a different sign each day. While the faces on the side of the street may change and the wording on the signs may differ, the message always remains the same ... the person holding the sign is asking for help. Whether that plea for help involves asking for money or food or a job or water or clothing or shoes, the message is always the same ... the person holding the sign is asking for help.

I'm not quite sure why, but the sign-bearing person I saw yesterday morning has gotten inside my heart and caused me to contemplate the commonality of humanity more than I ever have before. I can't remember what the young man was wearing or what he looked like ... but I think I may forever remember the words on the wrinkled cardboard sign he quietly held close to his chest. "Please pray for my sister. She's 12 and she has cancer. Her name is Callie. Thank you." I watched as several drivers extended their arms from their cars and tried to give the young man money. I watched as he shook his head from side to side and pointed to his handwritten sign, and mouthed the words, "Just pray for Callie." I can only hope that every single person who saw the young man and his sign yesterday has spent the last two days lifting little Callie up in prayer.

As I said, seeing the young man with his sign yesterday morning has caused me to contemplate the commonality of humanity ... that brief encounter has served to make me look at the people around me in a different manner, to wonder what their signs would say should they choose to share their pain, their suffering, their wounds with the world. I found myself gazing more deeply into the eyes of people I talk with each day ... wondering if they are secretly hurting, silently grieving or quietly aching while they put a smile on their faces and try desperately to appear strong. I found myself asking them how they really are, and even more important, I found myself truly listening to their answers. I found myself caring more ... loving more ... helping more. I found myself wanting to look at the world through their eyes ... wanting to carry their burdens ... wanting to feel their hearts. I found myself wondering more and more what their signs might say. And I found myself praying ... praying for the boy with the sign yesterday ... praying for his sister Callie ... praying for all the people whose signs aren't held before them but reside unshown deep within their hearts and souls. I found myself wondering what might happen if I took the time to see the signs ... to read the signs ... all the signs ... written and unwritten alike.


"My father had a stroke last night."

"My girlfriend left me for another guy, and my heart is broken."

"I have an eating disorder, and I haven't eaten a real meal in three days." 

"My neighbor sexually abused my 8-year-old daughter."

"My husband filed for divorce yesterday."

"Mom can't remember my name, and she doesn't recognize my children anymore."

"My brother is in jail and I'm afraid if they find out, I'll lose my job."

"I don't think anyone would notice if I died."

"I haven't slept in six days."

"I need help."

Slow down. Pay attention. Look into their eyes. Listen. Take the time. Make the time. Slow down. Pay attention. Look into their eyes. Listen. Take the time. Make the time. Slow down. Pay attention. Look into their eyes. Listen. Take the time. Make the time. 

Read the sign.

Read the sign.

Read the sign.

Read the sign.

Read the sign.



 

No comments: