Wednesday, September 11, 2013

You Gotta Read the Constructions

Right up front tonight, I have a confession to make ... and before you get all excited and think that it's another life-altering one, let me assure you that it's not. It is, however, a confession ... an admission ... a recognition ... a truth-telling, if you will. I am one of those people ... people who think they can assemble items without reading the instructions. My philosophy about putting things together has always been that it takes too much time to read and follow the printed directions. I can feel some of you shaking your heads and thinking that it's the other way around ... and I'll go ahead and say it, you would be completely correct. My desire to hurry through assembling things ... putting all the pieces together ... building something strong that will endure any abuse that comes its way ... my desire to rush through the process often caused me to have to start over and try again. I learned my lesson, however, many years ago when my son Matt was a little boy ... a little boy who had been patiently waiting for me to assemble a toy he had received on Christmas morning. After several attempts on my part and quite a long passage of time, Mattie finally lost his cool and not very calmly screamed, "You gotta read the constructions, Mommie!!! Just read the constructions!!" To this day in our family when something requires assembly, one of us will chuckle and say, "You gotta read the constructions!!!"

When one of my co-workers asked me this morning if I was OK, I told her that I was fine, just a bit off my game today. We all have days like that ... days when you find yourself sort of wandering, days when your compass is off kilter, days when you feel as though you've lost your sense of direction. When I have a day like that ... like today ... I find myself wishing I had an owner's manual or a set of instructions, something to tell me not only how to put myself together but how long it will take for me to do so. I find myself wishing that the process wasn't such a process, that I could hurry up and be done, that I had some sort of guarantee that the final product was going to be something strong and lasting and sturdy and real and durable and ... good. I wish I knew that if I follow the instructions and complete the process that the product of me is going to be one that is good.

I know God really does have to work hard to get my attention sometimes and break through my thick skull with the truth He has for me. But then there are other times when He just dumps those lessons right in my heart in a way that I simply cannot deny that it is Him. Such was the case late this afternoon when I began reading some copy for one of our healthcare clients ... excellent copy about making healthy changes, about determination, about diligence, about perseverance, about promises ... copy about the importance, the enormous importance, of the process. My eyes filled with tears as I read, knowing that I was meant to read those words today. As I reached for a tissue, an incoming email popped up on my screen ... a very random, totally unexpected email. An email that reminded me in a big way that I do have an owner's manual and instructions direct from the manufacturer. An email that reminded me that it's up to me to read them ... to hear them ... to listen to them with my ears wide open. An email that reminded me that it's about the process ... the process of submission and obedience and willingness to follow directions. An email that reminded me that sometimes God makes me weak in order to make me stronger. An email that reminded me that it's when I am so very weak that He is made so very strong.

"You gotta read the constructions, Mommie ... just read the constructions." 

James 1:2-4 --- "Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well developed, not deficient in any way."

    

No comments: