Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Gift of Time

When my mom called me a little more than 10 years ago to let me know she had decided to sell her house and move to Kansas City, one of my thoughts was that I was going to get to be with her on Mother's Day for the first time in many, many, many years. Living so far away and having children living at home meant that our trips back to Tennessee had to be scheduled when my kiddos were out of school, usually during the summer or over Thanksgiving or Christmas break. I well remember that Mother's Day with Mom the year she moved here because it was one of those "as close to perfect as it gets" days. Little did I know that Mother's Day was to be the last one I would have with Mom ... thank God that for perhaps the only time in my life, I got it right that day. I know I got Mom a Mother's Day gift that year, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. What I can remember is the time we spent together that day ... laughing, talking, napping ... Mom fell asleep sitting next to me on the couch that day, her head resting on my shoulder as she slept. Yep ... that was definitely one of those "as close to perfect as it gets" days ... you bet it was.

My children have always been extra wonderful to me on Mother's Day ... from serving me breakfast in bed to taking me to movies to working for days in the yard to getting me flowers to sending me on scavenger hunts in search of my gift ... my kiddos have always made me feel not only loved but also cherished on Mother's Day. But this year ... this year, my kiddos gave me the best gift of all ... this year, they gave me the gift of time. There's nothing in the world that makes me happier than spending time with my children, and that's exactly what Brad and Shelby and Meghann and Barrett gave me this year ... they gave me time with them. Both yesterday and today have been filled with various incredibly fun activities, but so much more ... so very, very, very much more ... yesterday and today have been filled with time and love. Even though Matt, Becca and the girls were on the final day of their Germany adventure, they made the time to contact me and let me know how much they love and miss me.

Trust me, friends ... the gift of time is the best gift you can give ... the very, very, very best gift you can ever give. 

Happy Mother's Day, moms.




No comments: