Monday, April 12, 2010

Friendship Unexpected

A couple of evenings ago while I was walking with a friend, she made the comment that I have a lot of friends ... a wide circle of people who are part of my life. I've thought about that a bit, and I've come to the conclusion that I have been richly blessed when it comes to friends ... good friends ... with whom I share life. Those friends are each unique, and each one owns a special piece of my heart.

There have been many times in my life when I couldn't have made it through without the faithful support and encouragement of my friends. There have been many fun and hilarious times when my joy wouldn't have been complete without the laughter and happy spirits of my friends. Life's experiences and circumstances, both in times of sorrow and times of joy, are meant to be shared between the hearts and minds of good friends.

It amazes me how God always knows just what each of us needs ... He knows before we even have the words to express that need ... and He sends someone to come alongside us, often without us even asking. God knows when I will go through a rough spot ... He knows when I will wander in the desert for a time ... He knows when I will struggle with some heavy burdens. He knows when He needs to send a friend to encourage me, to love me no matter what, to constantly and carefully point me to the arms of Jesus.

Over the last few months, I've been stumbling through some intense storms in my life. My walk of faith has been rocky and unsteady. At times, much like my little dog J.R. when it thunders, I've found myself shaking, cowering and trying to hide myself away from other people and from my God. And yet, God in His infinite wisdom and mercy and grace sent an unexpected friend right into the middle of my pain ... a friend whose faith is strong, determined and deep, a friend who knows and appreciates the power of prayer, a friend who directs me to God's Word to find the answers I seek.

Yep ... it amazes me how God always knows just what I need. And it amazes me even more when He orchestrates and causes His plan to come to fruition ... in His timing, according to His will, for His purpose. He truly is an awesome God.

No comments: