Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Lonely Road

One of the greatest joys as a mother is watching your children grow into mature adults and head out to make their own way in their world. The old saying, "When your children are young, you give them roots, and as they grow, you give them wings," is so true.

I've been an empty-nester since last July, and while it was difficult to see my last child move out of my home, it has also been a time of growth, not only for my daughter but for me as well. There have been some funny adjustments such as learning to cook for one person or finding enough dishes to fill the dishwasher before I run out of clean spoons (heaven forbid that I wash anything by hand!). The first few weeks brought with them some sadness ... coming home every night to an empty house and knowing that no one would be walking through the back door was challenging at times. But eventually, I found myself slipping into a routine and actually enjoying life on my own.

Recently, however, I've experienced a time of loneliness, and for no real reason that I am able to determine. I've been sort of melancholy ... or subdued, as a close friend labeled my current mindset. There have been other times in my life that I've walked the lonely road, but the feeling usually didn't last long and there was most often a definite cause to explain my solitary path. This trip has been a longer one, and one that has been harder to shake free from.

Over the last few days, I've come to understand that God puts the perfect people in our lives for the perfect season at the perfect time. Some are there for decades, and some for only a short while. Some friendships are forged through fire, and some flower from times of great happiness. Some connections happen quickly, and some are like a slow walk on a sunny day. All are special and precious in their own right, and all are blessings from a God who cares about the details of my life.

So to you, my friends, and you know who you are ... my friends who push me, tug me, invite me, encourage me, love me, challenge me ... to those of you who drag me out of my hiding place into the light ... thank you. And even more, thank God for placing you on the path alongside of me. It's a journey, and I'm so very grateful that I'm not alone.





No comments: