Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Walk the Walk

If anyone would have told me a year ago that I would be walking for 45 minutes to an hour each evening, I would have laughed and said, "No way!" At that time, I couldn't walk for 15 minutes without struggling to breathe and having every muscle in my body cry out in pain. Now, I walk at a fairly good pace and can even carry on a conversation with a friend as we hoof it on the walking path.

While I used to be appalled at the idea of any type of exercise, I now begin looking forward to my evening walk almost from the time I wake each morning. As my workday winds down, my heart beats a little faster with the thought that I will soon be donning my tennies and hitting the trail. I have to watch my speed as I drive each evening, because I almost can't wait to get home and get moving.

I've known for several months that walking is good for my health ... I've lost weight, my blood sugar levels have dropped drastically, and my muscles are stronger than they have been in many years. But it's only been in recent weeks that I have come to understand that the spiritual and mental benefits I receive while I'm walking far surpass the health benefits. It's simple really, walking is quite good for my soul.

When I walk alone, I listen to worship music on my iPod. Some evenings, like tonight, I find myself pretty much alone on the trail. I sing out loud as I walk on those "alone" evenings, and sometimes I raise my hands in praise and honor to my Lord. At times, I turn off the music and spend time in prayer, just me and my Lord. Some evenings, I am joined by one friend or another on my walk, and those times are spent in conversation ... sometimes laughing and simply chatting, other times discussing much deeper subjects and even shedding a tear from time to time. Often, those "friend" walks end in times of prayer when we return to my house, prayer times that have drawn me closer to God and closer to my friends.

As I finished my walk this evening, I had one of those God moments ... a moment when He teaches me something when I least expect it. As I gazed down at J.R. moving his little wiener dog legs as fast as He could to match my step, I realized that my walk of faith is much like my nightly walks on the trail. It takes dedication to stay in step with my Lord. It takes faith to walk with Him when the going in life gets tough. It takes trust to allow Him to lead my life and choose my path. It takes patience to wait on Him to teach me what He wants me to learn.

I want to stay in step with You, Lord, to walk at Your pace, to follow Your will, to be the woman You desire for me to be. I want to walk with You, Lord ... this night and every night.






No comments: