Monday, October 24, 2011

Shooting Star

Every morning I wake up around 6 a.m. I don't really need an alarm, I have Julie my big old hound who has her own built-in alarm clock. And when I get up, I have a routine I follow ... every single morning. First, I go to the bathroom, then I check my blood sugar, then I take Julie and Ollie outside. We go out the door that leads into the garage and then out the side door that leads into the back yard. I have to stand in the doorway and keep an eye on Julie ... if she sees a rabbit or squirrel or raccoon or fox or cat, she jumps the fence and the chase is on ... her chasing the animal and me chasing her. It's dark now when we go outside in the mornings, really dark in fact. I normally don't pay much attention to the sky during the dogs' morning potty time ... I'm usually still trying to get fully awake. But this morning for some reason, I was looking up at the sky and I saw a shooting star. I haven't seen many shooting stars in my life, so I stood on the step to my deck gazing in wonder at the beauty of the heavens above me.

I haven't been able to get the star I saw this morning out of my mind today, and I've thought a lot about how quickly the star flashed before me. If I hadn't looked up ... if I had blinked or turned my head, I would have missed it. I had to be looking in just the right place at just the right moment to see the star streak across the sky. I realized as I was driving home tonight that life is a lot like the star I saw this morning ... it can be over in a flash, and if I'm not looking in the right place at the right moment, I will miss it.

Something else struck me tonight as I was walking ... life is really all about perspective ... the way we see things. I call what I saw this morning a shooting star, but others would call it a falling star. It's all about perspective ... was the star I saw this morning streaking across the sky in a beautiful display of light, or was it dying and sinking into the black abyss of the universe? There are so many lessons from the star of my early morning that the words to share them would fill a ton of posts in this blog. Lessons about living and dying ... lessons about watching and waiting ... lessons about accepting and appreciating the omnipotent power of God over all the universe. I don't know the science behind what I saw this morning, but I do know that today ... today, I choose to see the wonder of God's creation ... today, I choose to see the beauty of His love ... today, I choose to see the light rather than the darkness.

No comments: