Saturday, July 20, 2013

Feeding the Hungry

It's been a long time since I cooked a meal for all of my children and their significant others. And it's been several decades since I had a baby in my house for more than a couple of hours. I spent two hours at the grocery store this morning trying to decide a) what to feed them, and b) how much of that food I needed to buy. You wouldn't think it would take me 15 minutes to choose a loaf of bread and then try to decide if one loaf will be enough. And now, I'm second-guessing myself and wondering if I need to run to the store and buy another loaf of bread. And some orange juice ... gosh, how could I forget to get juice? I'm sure I have way more food than my kiddos will consume over the next couple of days, but if I didn't learn anything else when they all lived at home, I learned that it's always better to have too much food than not enough. 

Perhaps because I mowed the yard right after I got home from the grocery store, but the words of a Keith Green song that was playing on my iPod struck me in a big way as I struggled to push the mower through the semi-wet grass. I'm tired tonight, and I've got a big day tomorrow (and I need to run to the store ... ugh), so I'm going to close with a few of the lines from the song that really spoke to me. A couple of them in particular have caused me to ask myself some important questions today ... tough questions ... and maybe they will cause you to ask them as well.

Do I point to His promises? Do I believe in what He said? Do I open my house to the world around me? Do I give to the least? Do I show people I care? Do I? Do I point, believe, open, give and show? Do I? Do you?

Go to The Hungry Ones

Go to the hungry ones and fill them with His bread
They’ll leave their darkness as you shine the light He shed
Point to His promises, believe in what He said
And His joy will be manifest in you
And the lost may be found as He works through you.

Is your house open to let strangers enter there?
Give to the least of them, show them someone cares
And you may be entertaining angels unaware
And His joy may be manifest to you
And the lost may be found as He works through you. --- Keith Green

No comments: