Friday, July 26, 2013

Proud as a Peacock

It's more than a bit interesting to me how certain sayings can carry with them very different meanings depending on the context in which they are used. Take, for example, the saying, "Getting along like a herd of old turtles." If spoken in the context of several moms watching their group of babies who are just learning to walk sort of creeping along, the saying is sweet and even endearing ... comparing sweet little babies to a herd of old, slow-moving turtles can't help but bring a smile to your face. But change the context to several elderly folks crossing the street while you sit in your sweltering car at the intersection, and the saying becomes not only negative but also condescending and rude. Funny how language works that way, eh? So many times in life, it's not only what we say, it's the context in which we say it that makes all the difference in the world.

My dad loved to wear bright colors ... in fact, one of his favorite pairs of slacks was bright red. Those pants were so bright that many times when Daddy would step outside while he was wearing them, our neighbor's dog would erupt in a barking frenzy ... guess the dog didn't like the color red nearly as much as my dad did. For as much as my dear old daddy loved those red polyester pants, Mom detested them. If the truth be told, I remember many heated arguments between Mom and Daddy about the clothes he chose to wear. I don't ever remember my dad criticizing Mom's clothing choices, but I sure remember Mom being more than a little outspoken about Dad's. And for some reason, I especially recall what she would say when Daddy would emerge from the bedroom in his glorious red trousers. Every single time, Mom would say, "Lord, help, Atticus! There you come strutting like a derned peacock in them pants. Look at him, Terrie ... he's as proud as a peacock in them ugly britches." Just thinking about Mom's dislike of Dad's pants and the grin on his face when he wore them makes me smile and miss the two of them in a big way.

The "proud as a peacock" saying has been stuck in my mind all day, and I'll tell you why in a minute. When I got home from work this evening, I decided to Google the phrase and I wasn't at all surprised to find that it often is used in a negative context meaning someone thinks too highly of themselves, that the person is just plain old arrogant. But as often happens when I'm researching something, I followed link after link and spent a good while reading about peacocks. And as I read, I discovered that I really don't know anything about the colorful members of the pheasant family ... I bet most of you are like me and thought they were just birds, nope, peacocks are indeed considered to be pheasants.

I learned a bunch of interesting things about peacocks as I surfed the Web this evening, not the least of which is that they thrive in atmospheres that offer peace and harmony, and they deal better with stress when they have lots of room to wander about. I know what you're thinking, and I thought the same thing ... I must be part peacock because peace, harmony and lots of room to wander about sounds like heaven to me. While many of the facts about the majestic birds fascinated me, it was when I happened upon the following statement that I realized why the phrase, "I'm as proud as a peacock," has been stuck in my head today.

"The peacock is a possessor of some of the most admired human characteristics, and is a symbol of integrity and the beauty we can achieve when we endeavor to show our true colors."

Last night, the advertising agency I work for was named 2013 Small Agency of the Year in the Midwest division by Ad Age. For those of you who aren't ad folks, that's a really, really, really big deal in our business ... a really, really, really big deal. I've written often about the people I'm blessed to work side by side with each day ... about their amazing talent and their incredible work ethic, yes, but also about their hearts. My fellow sheephaters are among the finest folks I've ever known. Not only have they proven that time and time again in their relationships with our clients, they prove it every single day to me on a personal level as well.

So here's to the sheephaters of SHS ... here's to the group of peacocks I'm so incredibly proud and honored to be part of. You guys possess some of the most admired human characteristics ... you are symbols of integrity and real, deep and lasting beauty ... the kind of beauty that is found only in the colors of truth.

Proud as a peacock? You bet I am!

No comments: