Sunday, May 8, 2016

Don't Hush the Mush

I've read a lot of motherly tributes and memories on Facebook today, and it's made me think back to the days when my two sons and only daughter were born. It's difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that around 6 a.m. 27 years ago yesterday, my only daughter made her entrance into the world. Anytime I think about the days my three children were born, there's one thought that always takes precedence over all the others ... how perfect they were. As is true with all parents, I counted toes and fingers, looked into their deep blue eyes and checked out their tiny arms and legs ... each one of my children was completely perfect from the tops of their little heads to the ends of their teensy-weensy toes. I remember the love that swept through me ... there really is no love that compares to that of a mother for her child.

I spent the day yesterday with my daughter Meghann and son-in-law Barrett having a dual birthday and Mother's Day celebration ... early morning 5k, bagels and Starbucks for Meg and dinner and a movie for me. I received my traditional at-the-stroke-of-midnight "Happy Mother's Day, Mom!" text from Brad, followed by a second text telling me to check my Paypal account. Upon doing so, I cracked up when I read my middle kiddo's attached note ... "Buy yourself something real nice, Clark." A sweet text from Shelby telling me how much she loves and misses me brought tears to my eyes. A few minutes later, I got a message from Matt, who's under the weather today. And then this evening, I got to spend some time Skyping with Becca and my littles. As wonderfully awesome as it is to have my children wish me a Happy Mother's Day, there's something extra special when I hear Coraline's loud and boisterous "Happy Mother's Day, Ghee!" followed by Amelie's much quieter version. I'm closing out today feeling very lucky and blessed ... very lucky and blessed indeed.

It's been a rainy, thundery, soggy Sunday here in KC ... thankfully no severe weather, just lots and lots of rain. I took Ollie for a long walk this morning, and we made it back home just a few minutes before it started pouring. We had just started to cross the first bridge on our way back home when Ollie stopped dead in his "Who's bridge is this?" game, staring intently at the creek below. I peered over the metal railing and immediately saw what had garnered his rapt attention ... a mama duck and her 13 baby ducklings. Neither Ollie or I made a sound as we stood there together watching the little ducks swim behind their mom until they swam out of sight. I wonder what the odds of our duck sighting being completely random ... me seeing a mama duck with all those babies on Mother's Day? I'm not so sure I can randomize that, friends ... I'm not so sure I can at all. But I am sure that it was beyond cool, standing there on Ollie's bridge on Mother's Day watching the family of ducks swimming effortlessly through the water below us. 

As we finished out our walk, my mind was filled with thoughts of the people in my life ... my children, my family, my friends. I thought about how many times I've hesitated to tell them how much I love and cherish them, often because I'm afraid they might think I'm being too mushy. And I've thought about that all day long, friends ... about how I try so hard to not be mushy ... and I think I've come to a conclusion. I think it's high time I (and probably some of you as well) stop caring so much about the labels other people might stick on our foreheads and start caring much, much more about saying the mushy stuff we should be saying to each other. You can't assume that someone knows you care about them ... you need to tell them. I love that my kids showered me with love and special gifts today, but I love so much more that they love me unconditionally every single day and that they aren't afraid to tell me. Just as I was typing this post, my daughter texted to let me know that a woman from their church passed away suddenly this afternoon from a massive heart attack ... a woman only 6 years older than me. 

Don't hush the mush, friends ... tell people you love them ... hug them tightly and tell them you're proud of them ... let them know how much you value and appreciate their friendship. Be mushy ... be vulnerable ... don't let one single opportunity pass you by. Don't ever, ever, ever hush the mush, my friends ... don't ever hush the mush.

No comments: