Sunday, May 22, 2016

The Lesson of the Tag

To some people, speaking in front of a group is worse than being doused in maple syrup on a camping trip in grizzly bear country. They are so terrified that they break out in a cold sweat ... their hands tremble and their voice cracks ... heck, some have even been known to bolt off the stage, hightail it to the nearest restroom and proceed to toss their cookies. Even though I know down deep inside that speaking is my true calling, I'll readily admit that I'm always nervous before a speaking gig. I'll even admit that there have been more than a few times when fainting or puking on stage seemed to be a very real possibility. I can certainly empathize with folks who are afraid of public speaking, but you know what's even worse for me than having a bad case of nerves when I'm standing in front of a group of people? It's when I walk on stage and realize that my fly is unzipped ... or I've got a piece of food stuck in between my front teeth ... or horror of horrors ... I have a piece of toilet paper attached to the bottom of my shoe. Call it vanity if you will, but I'd much rather be nervous in front of a bunch of people than I would to be embarrassed.

It seems like the last several times I've met up with my friend Aimee to go for a walk, one of the first things she says to me is, "Your tag is showing ... here, let me fix it." Though I'm not sure why all of a sudden I apparently can't put on a t-shirt without having the tag hanging out for all the world to see, I am completely sure that I'm beyond thankful for my friend Aimee. She could choose not to tell me I look like a dork with my tag on display ... she could just let me prance right on down the trail while she secretly laughed at how ridiculous I looked. She could think it was too much trouble to let me know I was "tagging it" once again ... she could think it takes too much time to stop and tuck my tag in for me. But she doesn't do or think those things and instead does what only a real and true friend will do ... she sees that I've got a problem and she does what she can to help me fix it. Yep, my dear friend Aimee not only tells me my tag is showing, she tucks it back inside my shirt where it belongs ... every single time. 

The lesson of the tag is a big one, you know, and it's about way, way, way more than a silly piece of fabric in the back of my t-shirt ... at least it is for me anyway. It's about the importance of honesty in friendship and being able to tell each other when something's out of place or not quite right. It's about taking time out of my own walk to help my friend have the best walk she can possibly have. It's about knowing when my friend needs help and then actually stopping long enough to help her. It's about seeing the tags that are hanging out on the shirts of the people I love and care about ... tags of stress ... tags of illness ... tags of sadness ... tags of loneliness ... tags of fear ... tags of loss ... tags of despair ... tags of failure ... tags of isolation ... tags of grief. It's about looking outside of myself and not just seeing the needs of others, but actually doing something about them.

"Your tag is showing ... here, let me fix it."

No comments: