Tuesday, May 17, 2016

From the Cradle to the Grave

With age often comes forgetfulness ... at least it does for me. Thankfully, my forgetfulness is pretty much limited (for now anyway) to my short-term memory. My ability to recall things from way back when doesn't seem to have been adversely affected by the aging process ... if anything, I think my long-term memory has actually improved as I've grown older. Personally, I think that what we do or don't remember as we grow older has little to nothing to do with the passage of time and pretty much everything to do with learning to appreciate the stuff that really matters. Here's a bit of advice for you younger folks: It's not the stuff you accumulate or the work you do or the degree you have or the events you attend that you'll want to remember one day ... it's the people. It's the people who are part of your journey ... it's the people with whom you share both joys and sorrows ... it's the people who stand by you when everyone else walks away ... it's the people who challenge you to do your best ... it's the people who pull you out of the mud, clean you up and push you to try again ... it's the people who teach you what it means to love unconditionally. Trust me on this one ... it's the people who love you and whom you love that you'll want to remember farther down the road.

If you were to ask my sister and her best friend when they first met, they would quickly tell you that it was when they were placed in a crib together in the nursery at church ... more than 70 years ago. They would also tell you that was the day their friendship began, and you can just forget trying to tell them that babies can't be friends. According to the two of them, they have been the best of friends for more than seven decades, almost from the day they were born. Those two have done a whole lot of life together in their 70 years ... they've celebrated the births of children ... they've grieved the deaths of siblings and parents and husbands ... they've gone on road trips ... they've eaten enough pancakes to, as my mom used to say, "float a battleship." My sister and her pal have cried countless tears together, and they've shared mountains of laughter together. They've talked on the phone almost every day of their lives, and they've never doubted their loyalty and commitment to one another. They're really more like sisters than friends ... they know that no matter what may come their way, they will always be there for each other. From the beginning of their lives until they draw their final breath, the beautiful friendship shared between my sister and her best friend will never fail.

This evening as I type, my sister's friend is in intensive care fighting for her life. She was diagnosed a couple of days ago with stage four colon cancer and underwent extensive surgery yesterday with the hope that it will reduce her pain and prolong her life. I'm sure I don't have to say that she needs your prayers, but I'm going to say it anyway ... she really needs your prayers, friends. And I'd also ask that you please pray for my sister as well ... I spoke with her this evening, and she sounded so very tired and so very alone. Our call ended as it always does with her saying, "Okay ... I love you, hun ... love you, bye-bye" and me telling her I loved her. Those words were extra special tonight for both of us ... tonight we recognized the importance and meaning within them ... tonight we were so very thankful that we have been given the precious gift of being able to still say them to one another. 

If I could burn one thing into your hearts and minds tonight, my friends, it would be this ... don't take one single moment with the people you love for granted ... not one single moment. Be kind to each other ... love each other ... listen to each other ... care for each other ... don't take one single moment for granted, not one.


No comments: