Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bittersweet Times Two

Being the youngest child in my family by a good many years (my siblings were 14, 17 and 21 when I was born) certainly had some advantages, but having four sets of parents wasn't one of them. Mom and Dad both worked full-time, so I spent a significant amount of time being cared for by my brothers and sister, and they didn't hesitate to fill the parent role when I misbehaved ... yes, though I know it defies the imagination, there were rare times when I actually did misbehave. Those of you who follow this blog know that my oldest brother Jerry was killed in a car accident when I was 10 years old. It wasn't until I was in my mid-30s with children of my own that my two remaining siblings, Tommy and Elsie (or Sis as she's always been known to our family) stopped seeing me as their baby sister ... no way is that statement true ... they still see me as their baby sister and try to parent me from time to time, and I suppose they always will.

Both Tommy and Sis live in the South, Tommy in Kentucky and Sis in Tennessee. We used to see each other at least once a year when Mom and Dad were living because we would all meet at their house from time to time. We lost Mom almost six years ago, and we've gotten together a few times since then, for happy occasions like weddings and for sad ones like funerals. In those six years, my sister lost her husband, Matt and Becca got married, several other family members passed away, my great niece got married, babies have come along, and now on Saturday, Meghann and Barrett will wed. And today ... today, Tommy and Sis will arrive in Kansas City for the wedding. The two of them are driving out, and I can't help but wish that I was along with them for their road trip.

The three of us aren't so young anymore ... I'm 51, Sis is 65, and Tommy is 68. All three of us have had some significant health issues over the last couple of years, so it's more than a little bit of a big deal that we will be together for the next few days. All week, I've been thinking about their arrival and about the emotion that I am certain will wash over me when I see them. I saw Sis last year, but I haven't seen Tommy in four years ... four years. I think it's pretty safe to assume that we will both look very different since we last saw each other.

As Mom and Dad aged, it grew harder and harder for me to say goodbye to them each time I had to leave after a visit home. I always wondered if it would be the last time I saw them. I would weep as I pulled out of their driveway, knowing that I may never see them again on this earth. I can close my eyes even now and see Mom sitting on the rock wall beside the driveway waving as we drove away. For as hard as saying goodbye was, it was equally hard to see how much they aged and changed physically between our visits. I'm sure that my reunion and eventual parting with my brother and sister will evoke some of those same emotions I felt with Mom and Dad, and that our time together for these few days will be bittersweet. There will be times of laughter, I'm sure, and times of tears as well. I'm sure that the thought will run through each of our minds ... we need to make the most of the time we have together in case it's our last.

Bittersweet times two ... please keep them safe as they travel, Lord, and watch over the three of us as we are together. Help each one of us to treasure every moment ... every smile, every tear, every hug ... bittersweet times two ... bless our time together, Lord, bless our time.

1 comment:

allie :^) said...

a very wistful post my dear. :) hoping that your time together is sweet and sentimental. :)