Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mercy, Mercy Me

With my only daughter's wedding just a little over a week away, I've had my little mom on my mind a lot in recent days. Meg and I talked a few days ago about how much her granny would have enjoyed being part of her big day, and Meg said she'd been missing Mom a lot lately, too ... and we smiled as we talked about what Mom would have said about Meg and Barrett's wedding. You see, Mom was well-known for some of her "sayings" ... phrases that she said so often they became part of who she was ... phrases and words that many of us repeat when we get together as a family ... phrases like, "Lord, help!" or "Land o' Goshen!" or "Lawdy, lawdy, lawdy!" (translated for you non-Southerners ... "Lordy, Lordy, Lordy!") or "She ain't no bigger than a bar of soap!" or one of my personal favorites, "I'm just plumb tuckered out today!"

When I think back on the the things Mom used to say, I can't help but recognize that Mom left a legacy of sorts through many of her quips and quotes ... some were funny, like the ones I just mentioned, while others were more serious in nature and tone, and carried deep meaning that perhaps I am just now beginning to fully understand. In fact, I think it's quite possible that Mom herself didn't recognize just how meaningful some of the words she uttered really were. One of those more serious sayings of Mom's has been echoing in my mind for a few weeks, and mainly because of the lyrics to a song that I've been listening to ... but I'll get to the song in a bit.

At times when things were tough or not going well or situations and circumstances came along that Mom couldn't understand, she would often shake her head and say, "Mercy ... mercy, mercy me." The more I've thought about Mom's speaking those words, the more I've thought about how very much we should all be uttering the same words. Every single one of us stands in need of mercy every single day, and not a single one of us deserves to receive that mercy. We are broken, wounded, sinful creatures ... and yet, God showers His mercy upon us freely and abundantly when we are at our very worst. So many times we think if we try harder, work harder, love harder, we can make ourselves worthy somehow ... we can cover what really lies within our hearts. The truth is that only God knows who we really are, and His mercy declares His love in spite of who we are.

I think it fitting to close with the words to the song I referred to earlier ... they are from a song by Jennifer Knapp called "Mr. Gray." Though it was written for her grandfather, the following words resonate with me and make me ponder the truth that it is only God who knows who I am ... He knows me behind the closed doors of my life, away from the light of day, beneath the masks I wear. The words make me think about showing my own hands, bleeding and wounded though they may be, to those around me. They make me search my soul and ask ... do I extend mercy to those who are in need, patiently and consistently, do I?

"If I think I can try harder, some might say that I'm smarter. But only God knows, only God knows who I am. If I show my hands, would you watch them bleed? Long enough to prove they are indeed in need of mercy ... in need of mercy. I need your mercy me ... I need your mercy, mercy me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh...you're brave to mention Jennifer Knapp again. :) Neat words in her song. And, yes, "Mercy...Mercy me."
Sharolyn