Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Longest Walk

If anyone would have told me a couple of years ago that I would be walking several miles each day, and actually enjoying those walks, not only would I have never believed it, I would have laughed out loud. And now, I walk every day. My daily walks are the best part of my day, and I can't even begin to explain to you how precious that time is to me. I've laughed on my walks ... I've cried on my walks ... I've talked with friends on my walks ... I've spent time with God on my walks. So much more than the physical benefits of walking are the emotional and spiritual benefits I reap as I step along my beloved walking trail.

I've thought a lot this week about the walks I've made over the years ... walks across a stage to receive diplomas, walks to the final resting place of both my parents, walks to the altar of a church, and countless others. Some of those life walks have been easy, and some have been extremely difficult. Some have led me to great joy, and some have caused me to travel through great sorrow. But each one of those walks has shaped me in some fashion into the person I am today, and I'm grateful that I've made them.

Today, I will take a walk that I've never taken before. Today, my only daughter, my youngest child, my baby girl, will take my arm and we will walk down the aisle of a church together as she marries the man she loves. I am very happy for Meghann and Barrett, and for the life they will build together. I am honored that Meghann chose to include me in such a special way in their wedding ceremony. I am also certain that walking my beautiful daughter down the aisle will be the longest walk I've ever made.

There is something truly transitional in this walk, something I can't explain. There is something incredibly meaningful about my youngest child getting married. I've been a single mom for many, many years, and though it was a walk I didn't choose, it was a walk with my three children that will forever remain in my heart. Countless memories have flooded my mind this past week, and I've cried countless tears. As we sat at the restaurant last night for the rehearsal dinner, my three children each with the loves of their lives by their sides, I found myself remembering when each of them were born. I remembered the moments when they drew their first breaths ... I remembered their little hands and feet ... I remembered the feeling of them nestled in my arms for the first time.

I'm sure as I ready myself today to make the walk with Meghann ... the longest walk ... the memories will continue, as will the tears. And I will pray that each of my children ... Matt ... Brad ... Meghann ... know how very much I love them. I pray that they will forever remember their mother's love ... I wouldn't trade one moment we've shared together, kiddos ... not one moment.



2 comments:

allie :^) said...

oh momma, i love this one. :) you had tears in your eyes...but you made it, didn't you? :)

love you sooooooooooooooo much. :)

Pat said...

You have given your children the one thing that every person wants more than anything--your undying, unchanging, unbelievable love and affection. That love has shaped them in becoming wonderful, loving adults. What a blessing for you to have such wonderful children; and even more, what a blessing for them to have such a loving Mother. I couldn't read this blog without tears for all of those children in the world who have not had the love of a Mother like you. It is my fervent prayer that they may know and have the love of their Heavenly Father. More than anything I want you to know how proud I am to have been witness to you walking Meghann down the aisle. It will be a "heart treasure" for the rest of my days!