Saturday, May 14, 2011

Recalculating Destination Route

I've had occasion to take a couple of road trips over the last few years with my son Matt and daughter-in-law Becca. I've got a lot of sweet memories from those trips together, not the least of which is the organized manner that any trip with Mattie entails. He has always been a "to do" and "what to pack" list maker when it comes to traveling, and always, always, always has a "schedule." Not surprising at all considering that he would alphabetize the items in the pantry when he was sick and home from school. Also not surprising that he will receive his Ph.D. at the young age of 27 ... he always has a plan. So when he, Becca and I went on our first trip together, I wasn't at all surprised that Matt had a GPS device planted firmly on the dash of the car.

For the most part, the GPS was a nice thing to have along, especially the extra little things it could do like locating certain restaurants or places of interest along our route. But there was one distinct thing about the gadget that drove me crazy ... the nasally annoying voice that would loudly announce, "Recalculating destination route, recalculating destination route," each time we would stop for gas or to sightsee or shop. It didn't take long at all for me to want to throw Matt's trusted technical toy right out the window of the car as we drove down the interstate. You'll be glad to know that I restrained myself, however, thus preserving my relationship with my son.

I'm not sure why, but I woke up this morning thinking about the GPS invention and how much it has changed the world we live in. Interestingly, though, just a couple of days ago, a warning was issued concerning not relying solely on global positioning systems for travel in the western U.S.  One phrase in that warning jumped out at me and burned itself into my brain ... "notoriously unreliable in remote locations." Hmmm ... seems to me that if you're in a remote location, that's when you need a dependable GPS the most.

Obviously, I've been thinking about the GPS thing all day, and as so often happens when something gets stuck in the caverns of my mind, God has a lesson for me to learn. To say that I'm wandering around in a remote spot right now would be the hugest understatement I've ever made. I was so sure that I knew where life was taking me ... so certain of what I was supposed to be doing ... so aware of who I was. And now ... now I'm unsure, uncertain, unaware. My destination route is being recalculated day by day and moment by moment. But ... but ... but ... for as lost as I am, for as dark as this night is ... I have the ultimate GPS, a global positioning system that is notoriously reliable in remote locations. You see, God knows where He is leading me ... He knows every step He has planned for me to take ... He knows my pain and He knows my heart. He knows me... He sees me... He loves me.

I trust you, Lord ... I trust that You know my destination and that You know the route I need to travel to get there. You're notoriously reliable in this desert, Father ... You've led many others through it before me. Be my GPS, God ... show me Your way ... show me Your way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Yesterday in church, our preacher spoke on the 23rd Psalm. When he spoke about the valley of death and asked if any of us had ever walked there in loss, sadness, depression or even a near death experience, I thought of you and my own experiences with depression. "I shall fear no evil, for thou art with me, they rod and thy staff, they comfort me." His rod and staff are our GPS system. I hope things are going better for you my friend. I said a little prayer for both of us!

allie :^) said...

what an irony! unreliable in remote locations... :O

it sounds completely stereotypical, but sometimes i can see that as we age, we grow wary, or less trustful, of youthful, trendy inventions and rely on the tried and true, what we KNOW to be true.

while i do not believe god always lands us in the desert (there are other players and factors involved soemtimes...) i do believe he will recalculate our destination, thus steering us towards the good in any situation or location. :)