Friday, January 18, 2013

Sonic Boom

Down the street from my office is a drive-in restaurant ... a drive-in restaurant that without a doubt has the absolute best milk shakes and tater tots in the world. And Reese's Cup blasts. And double cheeseburgers. And foot-long cheese coneys. And cherry Limeades. Over the years, especially when my kids all lived at home, I probably spent a small fortune at ... you guessed it ... Sonic Drive-In. Heck, my jaunts to Sonic go back way farther than that ... I remember my mom often asking me to run to the Sonic Drive-In on Dayton Boulevard in Red Bank to get her a burger, a chocolate shake and some tots. I can close my eyes and picture Mom sitting on her patio with a huge grin on her face, chowing down on her burger (always with extra tomatoes) and slurping her shake. I also remember a night after one of Matt's baseball games when Meghann spilled an entire Sonic grape slush in the back seat of my then new Subaru Outback ... my new car spelled like grape for a long time after that. And I remember countless summer nights when my kids and I would jump in the car and head for Sonic where we would eat in the car with the windows down as we watched the carhops go from car to car wearing roller skates as they delivered the people's food. I remember lunchtime trips to the Sonic down the street from my office ... lunchtime trips when I always ordered the same thing ... a double cheeseburger with extra mayo, a vanilla shake and cheesy tots. Yep, when I think of Sonic Drive-Ins, I think of food, family and fun.

The advertising agency I work for had a big win at the end of December ... bet you can't guess who our newest client is, huh? Let me give you a hint ... go back and read the first paragraph again, and think burgers, shakes and tots. I can't even begin to describe the excitement level in our office as we competed for the Sonic business and then won the account ... it's a BIG deal, friends ... a really, really, really BIG deal and a really, really, really BIG win for our company. The last few weeks have been a flurry of activity, needless to say, with new folks joining our ranks, new teams being created and new work areas being established. Things are a bit hectic as we grow and adjust to the changes that always accompany gaining a new large client, but there's also an energy coursing through the building that is infectious and exciting.

Every Friday morning, we have a staff meeting in our main conference room. It's a time of recapping the week, sharing what's happening with our clients, and talking about what's ahead. And more often than not, it's a time of laughter, too ... lots and lots of laughter. This morning as I sat in my spot (yes, I have a spot, think Sheldon Cooper, friends), I had a difficult time paying attention to the team reports and work-related news items. As I looked around the room, my mind wasn't on work at all ... in fact, I was feeling with my heart way more than I was focusing with my brain. 

I thought about the morning after Mom passed away and the first phone call I got that day ... one of the owners of the company called me to express his sympathy to me for the loss of my mother, a conversation that was filled with emotion and compassion. I thought about a hug in the stairway from one of the vice presidents the day I came back to work after Mom's death and the tears in his own eyes as we talked. I thought about the young man who sat at my desk and wept when he told me he was leaving to take another job. I thought about the folks who attended the weddings of two of my children. I thought about the day I sobbed my heart out in the conference room and the vice president who cried with me. I thought about the generous donations so many gave to the American Diabetes Association in support of my participation in the Step Out Walk last fall. I thought about the woman who left the office to buy flowers and a card for me the morning after J.R. died. I thought about weekend and vacation text messages telling me I was loved or missed. I thought about laughter-filled lunches and dinners with my supervisor. I thought about the people who sent food to my house when I was sick. I thought about the holiday party and the owner who told me I take care of everyone in the agency and they intended to take care of me. I thought about countless conversations about cars with the vice president who is my Subaru buddy. I thought about the births of babies, deaths of loved ones, birthday celebrations, heartfelt talks, giant hugs ... and love ... this morning as I looked around the room during the meeting, I thought most about love. 

So, here's to you, the Sheephaters of Sullivan Higdon & Sink ... when I think of Sonic, I think of food, family and fun ... and when I think of you guys, I think of listening, loyalty and love. Here's to the future ... here's to working hard and doing our best ... here's to doing life together. Here's to love, friends ... here's to love.  

   

No comments: