Monday, February 4, 2013

A New Look

I have two sons and one daughter, and all three of them have hair. And when they were teenagers, two of them did some crazy things to their hair. I know what you're thinking ... one of those two had to have been my daughter Meghann. We all know that teenage girls obsess over their hair, right? Nope, it wasn't Meg who was always doing weird things to her hair ... the only thing I remember with my daughter's hair was when the hairdresser cut it shorter than Meghann wanted it cut, and there was some major trauma involved. It was her brothers Matt and Brad who were always doing things to their hair ... yep, it was my sons who were hair freaks when they were young. One time, Matt decided to bleach his hair ... it turned as orange as a pumpkin. Then he asked me to buzz his hair as short as possible. It was still orange. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Brad didn't cut his hair for a year or so. He resembled a cross between the kid from the movie Blue Lagoon and Chewbacca from Star Wars. I'm happy to tell you, however, that both of my sons now have normal young men haircuts and are sporting their natural colors as well.

Though my sons carried having a new look to the extreme when they were young, sometimes changing things up in regard to our appearance is a good thing. It's been over a year since I refreshed the look of my blog, so I decided it was time to do something different with the background. I'd love to know what you think, so drop me a line or leave a comment and give me your thoughts. I was torn between a couple of different looks, so if you hate this one, I'll try something else.

As I was perusing different options for my blog's new look, I started wondering what God thinks when He looks at me. I started thinking about how much He must want to refresh the look of my heart, change the appearance of my soul, do something different with my mind. I started thinking about the difference between God and me ... if I decide to alter the appearance of my blog, I just push a button or two and change everything. The blog has no choice in the matter ... I decide for it how it will look and act ... the blog doesn't get to have an opinion or a vote or a choice. And though God could do the same thing with me if He wanted to, He instead lets me choose whether or not I will look the way He wants me to look ... whether or not I will let Him change what others see when they look at my heart ... whether or not I will let Him refresh my soul. He allows me to choose whether or not I follow Him ... He doesn't just push a button or two and force me to love Him. He freely offers to change things up for me, but He doesn't make me choose Him.

Let me know what you think about the new look of the blog ... and go ahead and let me know what you think about God, too.        

No comments: