Thursday, February 21, 2013

Guest Blog Post # 3

It's snowing like crazy here in Kansas City today ... the weather guys got it right this time. So I (along with most of the people from my office) am working from home today. But while I'm taking a break from proofing mountains of Sonic menus ... I sure would like to have a double bacon cheeseburger, an extra-large order of tots and a delicious Reese's Blast ... I decided to go ahead and post an amazing entry from my next guest blogger. And to the others of you whom I've asked to guest blog, I can't wait to share your words with my readers as well. I'm totally digging this guest blogger idea ... totally digging it in a big way.

Today's guest blogger is a gal who is a savvy and smart businesswoman, and I have a ton of respect for her in that regard. But she is also a mother, a grandmother, a wife and a friend, and in those areas, my respect level for her is off the charts. She has been a constant source of encouragement to me over the last months, and her faith in God is an inspiration to me every single day. Her message today is one that we all need to hear, no matter who you are or where you may be on your journey in life. Read with your eyes, friends, but listen with your hearts.  

"When Terrie asked me to guest write for her blog, I was excited, but a little nervous. I am verbally inclined, definitely not a professional writer, and I wasn’t sure what I would have to say that would be worth sharing. So I figured I would think about it, ride it out, and surely something important would present itself.  The thing is, I didn’t have to come up with something significant to talk about. God took care of that part. He always does.

A few days ago, a friend of mine said to me, “I’m tired of being judged. I’m tired of being put down. I’m ready to stand up for myself.” Beautiful words to hear from someone who has seriously judged herself, and has let others impact her view of her worth. Beautiful to see the physical change in her posture – shoulders back, standing straight, chin up; the strength in her voice; the sparkle in her eye; the will to survive, that frankly, was barely there only a few short months ago; the desire to thrive.

Her ongoing transformation doesn't mean that she thinks she is sin free, or that she is right or righteous. It does not mean that others’ opinions and words still don't hurt – they do. It doesn't mean that she has it all figured out – sorry, but she never will. It simply means that she is starting to believe what she knows deep down is true. Although hard for her to accept – God loves her!

And God loves you – whether you think you deserve it or not, or whether anyone else thinks you do. He made you – all of you. The things you love about yourself, the things that others love about you, and the things you wish you could change (long nose, wrinkles, big belly, sore feet) – you get the picture. Not to trivialize, because we all know we have much bigger struggles than ugly toes! The point is, we are all much more valuable than the sum of our parts, so don't pick your parts apart!

NONE of us are perfect. We are all sinners. Sometimes we place a hierarchy on sin. We trivialize our sins and focus on the indiscretions of others. Or we are so hard on ourselves that we can’t see how we can ever overcome or come to live with our sins. God expects us to acknowledge our sins and pray for strength. He also expects us to love ourselves, warts and all, and to love each other.

So for my friend and all her friends, just focus on being the Best Version of You. Some days it won’t feel like it’s enough, but some days it will be just right. Don't forget how precious you are in Jesus’ eyes. Stop comparing yourself to others. Accept yourself the way you are. And listen to God’s opinion of you."

No comments: