Thursday, May 9, 2013

It's Been a While

On December 31, 2012, I did something I had never done before in my blog ... I allowed another person to write the words that appeared in my post that evening. Since then, a couple of other folks have written guest posts, and they, like my first guest blogger, touched not only my heart but many of yours as well. It's been a while since the last guest post, and I've been thinking for a couple of weeks that it was time. As fate would have it, today I received an email ... an email that caused the tears I had been fighting all morning to keep at bay to course down my cheeks as I read. It's that email that will appear as my guest blog post for this evening, because I think some of you may need to be reminded of your own rope. But first, I want to share something with you that happened at work today. 

Over the last few months, we've had a lot of new folks join the ranks of our company ... which means business is booming, and that's a great thing. It's always interesting to me to watch the new people find their place within our work family, and I especially enjoy hearing their take on the dynamics of how we function as a company. Most of the time, those conversations are about ... well ... they are about work stuff ... about how cool our company is, how great all the people are, how awesome the benefits and perks are ... that kind of stuff. It's very unusual to have someone who is very new talk about something like ... well ... love. But that's exactly what happened today, perhaps because it needed to happen today ... perhaps because it was meant to happen today. As I was talking to one of our newest employees, she said, "Everyone here loves you so much, Terrie. Really, they love you deeply. As an outside observer, I can tell you one thing for sure ... they love you, Terrie, they really do."

I spoke in my last post about the great big old puddle that's been creeping up on me for the last few weeks, and this week has been especially difficult. Depression is a genius when it comes to making a person feel all alone in the world ... unloved, unwanted, unaccepted ... put all the "un" words you want in there. Even though in your heart you know you aren't alone, the crazy beast within your mind tells you that you are. My new co-worker told me what she did today because I needed to hear her words ... she told me what she did because I was meant to hear her words. The subject line of the email I received today was "About Ropes." The minute I read those two words, I instantly thought of the lyrics to a song by Jason Gray. "Spent some time looking for a length of rope, and a place to hang it from the end of my hope." I had a whole different perspective last year about ropes for sure, friends ... a whole different perspective indeed.

"Just finished reading your blog and it, of course, started me thinking.
Here's the thing about ropes. They're composed of many, many, many single
strands. Each strand has very little strength on its own. In fact, I'd say a
single strand of hemp would break easily with the slightest tug. What makes
a rope have such incredible strength is the harmonious weaving together of
all the individual strands.
 
It's my privilege to be one single strand in your life. While I give you
love, support, and encouragement, it isn't enough to single-handedly tow you
out of any deep puddles. The amazing fact is that there are many "strands"
in your life that are working together to keep you from the mire, and, if
you do get stuck, to help you out as quickly and as gently as possible.
 
To me, what is even more amazing, is that God has orchestrated each of the
strands for His purpose...and that means that your collective "rope" is
comprised of those whom you know and those whom you will never know this
side of heaven.
 
So, take a deep breath, take another deep breath, and know that the strands
in your life are pulling together and that we will help you with whatever
you need.
 
I know you oh so well. You are thinking that you don't deserve it...you are
thinking that God couldn't possibly be doing this for you...you are thinking
that no one would want to help you because of who you are...you are thinking
that I'm full of hot air and "glass half full" thinking. YOU ARE WORTHY OF
LOVE AND SUPPORT! 
 
Today, be more than OKAY...or FINE...and let the strands pull together on
your behalf."
 

 

No comments: