Monday, August 19, 2013

A Jim by Any Other Name

Every now and again, someone wonderful happens into my life ... someone completely unexpected ... out of the blue ... just when I need that particular person the most. Someone I would never anticipate meeting, and quite often I encounter that type of someone purely by chance ... or do I? Do I really meet those extra special souls purely by chance, or are they meant to cross my path for a specific purpose or reason? Do those from whom I learn the greatest, deepest, most important and lasting lessons come into my life because of a design and a plan that is so much more than simply chance? Questions worth pondering for sure ... questions that have been coursing through my mind at breakneck speed since yesterday ... since yesterday when I met a gentleman named Jim. 

Yesterday was my son-in-law's 30th birthday and to celebrate his three decades of life, my sweet daughter planned a surprise party at their church and invited me to attend. It was a beautiful day ... the perfect day, in fact, for a Sunday afternoon drive. Meg and Barrett live in a small town in Missouri, about an hour and a half away from the Kansas City suburb where I reside ... a small town where people wave at one another as they pass in their cars, where everyone knows and cares about everyone else, where events like the preacher's 30th birthday is a pretty big deal. I arrived at the church about 40 minutes prior to the start of the party, with cake and cupcakes in tow. Waiting for Meg and Barrett to arrive, I chatted with a couple of ladies from their congregation about kids and grandkids ... normal small talk among women over the age of 50. Barrett was indeed surprised when he and Meghann entered the fully decorated room filled with people shouting, "Surprise!!! Happy birthday, Barrett!!" and launching into a lively rendition of the traditional happy birthday song. I had stayed somewhat hidden away until the folks finished singing and then stepped out and greeted my son-in-law who was shocked to see me at the party.

The food for the party was sugar, sugar, sugar and sugar ... translation ... cakes, cupcakes, cookies and homemade ice cream (I would have almost killed for a giant bowl of the peach ice cream, by the way). As everyone began to form a line to partake of the sweets, I went and sat down in one of the chairs that were lined along the wall. After Barrett filled his plate, he came and sat next to me ... my son-in-law is really good about that, you know, making sure that I'm not alone in a group of folks with whom I'm not well acquainted. As he and I chatted, he began to tell me about a gentleman who was sitting a few chairs down from us ... a gentleman who hasn't attended a church in many years, but was at the party inside of a church because he loves and respects Barrett. As my son-in-law told me how much it meant to him that the man had come to the party, Barrett's eyes grew misty and he said, "Come on, Terrie, I want to introduce you to Jim."

I spent the next hour or so completely engrossed in deep conversation with a man who is without question one of the most fascinating and engaging people I've ever met. I would guess Jim to be in his late 70s or perhaps even early 80s, dressed in overalls, with a quick and easy smile and a vocabulary that makes my own seem like mindless drivel. Within only a few minutes, I knew that Jim was well-educated and intelligent. I was mesmerized by his obviously inquisitive and intuitive nature as he peppered me with question after question about my children, my job and where I live. Many of his questions were preceded with the words, "If I'm asking too much or if you feel uncomfortable with answering, just tell me to shut up and I will." I patted the arm of my newfound friend and assured him that I didn't mind at all and that I would let him know if I grew weary of his interrogation. That's when he told me that he had once been a policeman, and that he was far smarter than he looked. The policeman part surprised me, but the smart part I already knew.

Perhaps I should have sensed them coming ... the deeper, more probing questions ... once Jim told me he had been a cop before retirement, but I was caught more than a little off guard when he asked me about my faith. He immediately detected my hesitation in answering, and he gazed deeply into my eyes as he said, "Why did you hesitate? There's a great deal of sadness and trepidation in you concerning that subject. Are you a woman of faith? Are you Christian?" I knew that this overall-clad gentleman would see right through any attempt I made at dodging the subject, so I blinked away the tears as I answered, "Yes, I'm a Christian, Jim. But my faith has sort of taken a beating over the last couple of years." And then Jim asked me why. I looked into the deep brown eyes of the old man I had just met, searching my heart for an answer to his penetrating and overwhelming question. That's when he put his hand on mine and said, "From your appearance and your mannerisms, I would guess that I know why your faith is in turmoil." And then he asked me THE question ... THE question with THE word at the end that is next to impossible for me to say. I looked into Jim's eyes, nodded my head in affirmation to his question and fully expected him to stand and walk away. But he didn't. 

Jim asked me many more questions last night, and by the time our conversation ended, pretty much everyone had left the church except Barrett and Meghann and one other couple. Jim hugged me twice before we parted ... long, deep, lasting hugs, even though he had to bend way over to do so (he's really, really tall and I'm really, really short). Driving home as the sun was beginning to set, I thought about Meghann and how unashamed she is that I'm her mom, how much she loves me and how proud I am of the young woman she's become. I thought about Barrett ... I thought about the hug and kiss he gave me in front of everyone at the party when I stepped out of the crowd to tell him happy birthday and how very much that meant to me.  And I thought about Jim ... about the wisdom he shared with me and the acceptance and love he extended to me.

Yep, every now and again, someone wonderful happens into my life and changes me forever ... changes me forever indeed. 

 

No comments: