Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Girlfriend

She has reddish hair with some highlights of dark brown mixed in ... hair that glistens in the moonlight and is so very soft against my fingertips. She's short and a bit on the plump side, and she has this cute little twist when she walks. Her eyes are so brown that I often wonder if they are really black instead, and they sparkle when the light strikes them a certain way. She loves all types of food, and she eats with true abandon, happiness etched across her face as she savors every bite. She relishes time spent with those whom she loves, and cuddling ranks right up there with breathing in her mind as a necessary part of living. Her name is Daisy ... a name that suits such a sweet little gal ... a name that reminds me of flowers and my mom and Tennessee and home and family. Daisy ... Daisy ... Daisy. Every time I see her, I smile. I can't help myself. Even if I try not to smile, I can't stop myself ... Daisy makes me happy, and when I'm happy, I can't help but smile.

Some of your hearts sank when you saw the title of this post and the thought raced through your minds, "Oh, no, she's given in to her sinful desires ... she's really done it now." Some of you believe that it would be morally and spiritually wrong for me to have a girlfriend. Some of you are already composing a strongly worded email in your mind telling me that being gay automatically means I'm going to spend eternity in hell. Some of you will say in your messages that being gay is a choice, and a sinful choice at that. Some of you will say that, according to the Bible, being gay means I must remain celibate for the rest of my days on earth. Some of you will say that it is impossible to be gay and still have a deep, abiding faith in God. Some of you are thinking that those statements make me the one who's being judgmental, except I know those statements to be true because many of you have already written those exact words to me over the last several months.

There are others of you, however, who did a happy dance when you saw the title, and the thought that raced through your minds was very different. "Finally, she's accepting who she is and has found someone to love." Some of you believe that being gay has nothing to do with choice and everything to do with the way God created me. Some of you are composing emails that will say God's Word has been misinterpreted and that God doesn't and never did mean for those of us who are gay to be alone forever. Some of you will tell me that you know my faith is real and deep, even though it's taken quite a beating. Some of you will say you want me to be happy and to have a partner with whom to share my life. I know those statements to be true because many of you have already written those exact words to me over the last several months.

As I've written before, the question concerning my relationship status is one that I am asked over and over again in the messages and emails I receive. My answer tonight is the same as it has been when I've responded in previous posts ... I am not in a relationship. And before you bombard me again with the question as to what I believe the Bible says about whether or not I must forever be alone, here's my reply ... I have more questions than I have answers about a ton of stuff at this point in my life. But there is one thing I know for certain ... God loves me and He created me exactly the way I am. He loves me, He created me, and He continues to have a plan and a purpose for my life.

Now back to the girlfriend, Daisy ... she's Ollie's girlfriend, and she's a short, chubby little female wiener dog we met out on the walking trail. I cannot see that dog without smiling, if for no other reason than she reminds me of one of those roly-poly bug things when she comes waddling along. Ollie gets so excited when he sees her that his tail most definitely wags his body ... he truly loves Daisy, even though she pays very little attention to my adorable, chest puffed out, strutting his stuff Ollie. He's tried every way he knows to attract her attention ... I think Daisy is secretly head-over-paws crazy about Oliver, and she is simply playing hard to get. 

Don't judge a blog post by its title, and don't judge a person by their sexu ... wait, I'm pretty sure the Bible says don't judge people ... period ... just don't judge or condemn anyone. Sorry to either disappoint you or thrill you, depending on which side of the debate you're on I suppose ... but the only creature in this house who kinda sorta has a girlfriend is Mr. Oliver Chance Johnson, Royal King of the Wiener Dogs.

1 comment:

Sonya Butler said...

You are awesome...amazingly brave...and one of the most faithful and spiritual people I know. I am proud of you for not allowing yourself to be judged by people who believe they have a more knowing and better God. And, I am proud of you for reminding people like me that it is not my place to judge those very same people. So, as Jesus would do, I will stay in "my place" and say I am happy you are finding your faith again, your way in life again...your happiness again...and yourself again. As God created you!

Sonya