Thursday, August 22, 2013

If You're Gonna Cry ...

I'm going to begin tonight's post with another confession ... maybe I should just dub 2013 "The Year of The Confession" for me since that seems to be a recurring occurrence in my life this year. Once again, I digress ... back to my confession ... I never used to be a weeper. Stop laughing ... I am totally serious, I never used to be a cry-baby like I am now. In fact, I cried so little that my family used to tease me and say I was hard-hearted because I rarely ever cried. There was that one day, though ... the day a wasp stung me on the boob ... I sure shed some big tears that day ... boy oh boy, did I ever. Now that I think about it, maybe part of the reason I'm so easily moved to tears these days is because I didn't cry much when I was younger. That's not really the reason I cry more these days, you know ... I cry more easily these days because for the first time in my entire life, I'm real. I'm real with myself, real with others and real with God, and being real means ... well ... being real means being real in everything I say, do and feel.

Today, we had a surprise celebration at work for my boss who's retiring at the end of next week. I knew when I got up this morning that today was going to be a busy, stressful and quite probably emotional day. I was correct on all counts ... lots of running around the building, learning new things, and tears ... lots and lots of tears. The party was awesome, though, and well-deserved for the woman who has taught me and so many others so much over the last 11 years. As one of the owners of the company spoke of how much Donna has meant to our company, I wasn't the only one who's eyes were brimming with emotion. And when she said a few words to the standing-room-only group that was packed into the conference room, I wasn't the only one with tears running down my cheeks then as well. Donna has worked at SHS for 32 years ... that's a big deal in a day and age when people often change jobs as quickly and easily as they change their underwear.

Every once in a while, I have a good idea, and every now and again, I even have a great idea, and a couple of weeks ago, I had one of the greatest I've had in a really long time. I passed out SHS note cards to all of our employees and asked them to write a note to Donna. It was awesome this morning to place all the cards in a basket to give to her at the party this afternoon, but what was even more awesome was all the people who brought their cards to me and said, "Read it, Terrie ... read what I wrote to Donna." They didn't want me to read their notes to check for grammar and punctuation either ... they wanted me to be a part of the love and appreciation they were sending to Donna via their words on the cards. And you know what else they did? A whole bunch of them hugged me after I read their notes ... a whole bunch of them hugged me for a long, long, long time. I've said it before, but the note card experience and the love I saw demonstrated for my dear friend Donna today just reinforced it again to me ... we have something extra special at SHS, something extra special indeed.

When Donna finished speaking, I stepped out to get the basket of cards from the table to give to her, and because of how closely I've worked with her, I knew that everyone was expecting me to say something. But I also knew there was no way I'd be able to say anything meaningful since I was already crying. So I did what all eloquent speakers do when they are too emotional to talk ... I said, "I'm not saying anything." I grabbed the basket and walked to where Donna was standing and handed her the basket as I tearfully said, "Here's a bunch of cards." What happened next was one of those moments ... one of those moments that didn't just touch my heart, it touched every heart in the conference room. When I handed the basket of cards to Donna, she grabbed my finger and wouldn't let go ... she wouldn't let go ... she wouldn't let go. And then she hugged me, and I bawled ... right there in front of everyone I work with ... I cried like a baby. I hugged my dear friend Donna, cried like a little girl and completely obliterated my tough gal image among my co-workers.

After the party ended, I went back to my desk to finish up a few things and check my email before I headed home. I was surprised to see more than a few unread emails, and even more surprised as I began to read the messages they contained. 

"I haven't been here very long, but I saw what you talked about in orientation about how it's a family at SHS. What Rand said and when you and Donna hugged, that was so cool. I'm glad I got to be a part of that today and I'm glad I came here to work."

"What a touching moment when Donna grabbed your hand and you and her hugged. I think everyone had tears in their eyes, Terrie. You've got such a great heart and give out so much love to all of us every day. We need you and we need your love. Don't ever forget that or how much we love you."

"I was trying to hold it together when Rand and Donna talked and thought I was going to make it out of there without crying. Then Donna got a hold of your hand and wouldn't let go until you hugged her. One of the sweetest things I've ever seen on a job. You're right about us being a family, and people like you and Donna are why we are."

There are so many lessons in the words of the emails I received today, not the least of which is how important it is to be real and present in the lives of others, and to fully appreciate and treasure every moment I have with the people I love. Here's the thing, friends ... you never know what will touch the hearts of other people, perhaps at the very moment they need it most. I'm going to close with another email I received after the party ... sleep well, friends, hug a couple of people tomorrow and tell a few folks you love and appreciate them.

"I know you don't like to let anyone see you cry, and that you are probably mad at yourself for crying in front of all of us at the party. Here's what I think, Terrie. If you're gonna cry, might as well cry big. Love you even when you cry. Be careful going home and I'll see you tomorrow."

 


No comments: