Wednesday, August 7, 2013

By Invitation Only

Before I launch into the meat of my post this evening, I've got a couple of things to say first. Working for an advertising agency means I am blessed to work with a lot of younger, extremely smart and creative people ... if you've been reading along with me for any length of time, you already know that because I've written about it on numerous occasions. And you know how much I love the energy the younger folks bring to our daily work environment, and even more, I love the way those kids I work with love me. To a lot of them, I'm sort of a cross between a mom who takes care of them, listens to them and puts bandaids on their boo-boos, and the goofy, hip, crazy aunt who comes from California to visit and takes them to cool places, lets them stay up way too late watching scary movies and whips up ice cream sundaes smothered in chocolate and caramel for breakfast. We've hired a lot of people since we won the Sonic account back around the first of the year, and quite a few of those new peeps are young; in fact, several of them are younger than my youngest child Meghann. Don't say it ... I know how old I am, thank you very much. There are so many things I enjoy about the young people whom I spend a good chunk of my waking hours with, but I am especially fond of the always interesting, sometimes weird, often heartfelt, occasionally tear-filled conversations we have together. Conversations like the one I had today with a young gal as we were getting ready to call it a day and head home.

I can't recall how the conversation began, but it ended with us talking about funerals and more specifically, my funeral. Our talk was lighthearted and chatty as I told my young friend that I had just discussed my wishes for my funeral with my daughter and son-in-law last Sunday evening when I met them for dinner at their favorite sushi joint. I can't remember how that conversation began either, but it ended with me telling them that I want my funeral to be a party and that I want everyone to wear plaid shorts and Converse shoes. And it was when I told my young friend at work about my shorts and Converse requests that our conversation went from lighthearted and chatty to downright hilarious.

"I don't know, Terrie," my friend said with a smile on her face and a lilt in her voice, "that seems like a pretty stiff dress code to me."

"No, it's awesome, that's what it is," I said matter of factly. "Plaid shorts and Converse, or you're not invited! It will be a 'By Invitation Only' funeral ... all guests must adhere strictly to the dress code. No admittance without plaid and Converse. No exceptions."

"So have you written and designed the invitation yet?" asked my friend.

"I haven't, but what a great idea!" I said as I laughed out loud. "I need to do that and put it in the file with my office will." Yes, I have an office will ... there's someone extra special whom I want to receive the brass wiener dog that stands guard over my plant garden. And I certainly don't want my work buddies to fight over who gets my Nerf basketball hoop or my hacky sack stress ball ... and it could get nasty in a hurry if I don't designate who will proudly display my various moose items following my demise, trust me on that one. 

"You could send out a Save the Date card that says, 'Save the Date for Terrie's funeral bash. Future date TBD. Dress code will be strictly enforced. This event is by invitation only. Watch your mail for further details,'" my friend said with a hearty laugh. "Now that really would be hilarious!"

I chuckled all the way home about our conversation, and as Julie and Ollie greeted me when I walked into my little house, I couldn't help but recognize that while there was a lot of laughter about my plaid shorts wearing, Converse sporting, party on down requests for my funeral, there was deep, deep meaning behind them as well. I do hope that when the day comes that people gather to bid me farewell for the final time, it will be a celebration rather than a time of sadness ... complete with plaid shorts and Converse shoes. Had I carried out my plan last year and ended my life, my funeral would have been far, far removed from the party I would like it to be, and I would have forever wounded the hearts of those whom I love and cherish so very, very much. And tonight ... tonight, I am so thankful ... so far beyond thankful ... that I'm here. There are still times that are hard, times when I feel like giving up ... but there are so many more times that make me know why I don't. Times like last weekend when I laughed with Brad and Shelby and Meghann and Barrett ... times like last night when I Skyped with Matt and Becca and my sweet C.J. ... times like the days when my friends make me smile ... times like today when I know ... when I truly, truly know ... that I'm so far beyond thankful that I'm still here.

"By Invitation Only" ... think about it, friends, think about it indeed.

 


   

No comments: