Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Bleep, Bleep, Bleep ... Where's the Tylenol?

When all my kiddos lived at home, we had one particular Christmas tradition we observed for many years. As much as I'd like to tell you that it was a tradition that was steeped with deep meaning or filled with huge life lessons, to do so would be so far from the truth that I'm pretty sure a bolt of lightning from the heavens would strike me dead as I type. Nope ... my little family's ever-present Christmas tradition wasn't lofty or intellectual or even spiritual ... not in the least. But it was a tradition that accomplished what I believe traditions should accomplish ... it created a memory for my three children they will always and forever remember. So what was it, you ask? Every year at Christmas, we watched the classic movie Christmas Vacation as we decorated our tree. And tonight, my heart swelled with emotion as my eldest child put his own spin on our old tradition ... we watched Christmas Vacation as he and my daughter-in-law made sure everything was prepared and ready for Santa's arrival sometime during the night.

If you would have told me that I would one day be sitting in my son's house in Canada sharing Christmas Eve dinner with a lovely family from Scotland, I wouldn't have believed you. And yet, that's exactly what I did this evening ... a wonderfully kind and loving husband and wife, along with their adorable 19-month-old little girl. I loved listening to them speak ... their heavy Scottish accents make their words sound almost musical. As we all sat at the table eating and laughing, I found myself thinking about the conversation Matt and I had last night when we went out to run a few errands. It was a conversation about the quality of life he and Becca and Coraline have here ... they have a good life ... a great life, actually. They left everything they had ever known and all of their family behind to set out on a tremendous adventure when they moved to Canada a year and a half ago, and they have built a truly wonderful life for themselves. And for as much as I didn't want them to move, now I understand why they did ... and even more ... now I know why they will stay here.

It's Christmas ... tomorrow morning, I will watch my only granddaughter open her gifts as she experiences the magic of Christmas. Tomorrow morning, I will watch my all-grown-up little boy be the amazing father and husband he is as he revels in the love he has for his wife and daughter. Tomorrow morning, I will watch love.

Merry Christmas from Canada, friends ... may yours be a blessed day of celebration. May yours be a blessed day of celebration free from pain or loneliness or strife ... may yours be a blessed day filled to overflowing with love.


No comments: