Saturday, December 28, 2013

My New Boss

I've had a lot of jobs in my lifetime, and I've had a lot of bosses. For the most part, I've been lucky in the boss department ... I only remember one boss who wasn't ... well ... who wasn't a very nice person. If I haven't learned anything else over the course of my career, I know beyond the shadow of any doubt that a supervisor can make all the difference in the world as to how an employee feels about his or her job. A caring, compassionate, encouraging boss inspires loyalty and dedication while a demanding, critical, condescending supervisor tears down a person's spirit and saps their passion for their job. I've been blessed ... really, really, really blessed in the boss department for sure.

Tonight my son and daughter-in-law went out to dinner ... without their almost 2-year-old daughter ... and I had the distinct honor of babysitting while they were gone. Matt and Becca don't get the opportunity to go out alone very often because babysitters up here in Canada are expensive, so I gladly volunteered to stay with C.J. while I'm here visiting so they could have some much-needed adult time together. I decided something this evening during the trying to get my way too smart for her britches granddaughter to go to sleep portion of our evening together ... she's got me wrapped around her finger, and she knows how to play me in a big way. And ... I ... love ... it.

Little Miss C.J. managed to get me to provide her with an abundance of drinks of milk and water, turn on her Violet to play more music and put her blanket back in her bed more than a couple of times. I don't know whether it was during the milk and water requests or the blanket throwing time or when I turned my back to start her music, but at some point that little rascal was even jumping in her bed while she laughed and giggled at me as I tried to firmly tell her it was time to go to sleep. When she finally did go to sleep, I peeked in on her a couple of times to make sure she was okay ... of course I did. Looking down on her sweet little face with her rosy cheeks and blonde hair made me think of times when I did the same thing with her daddy when he was a baby ... it's true that some things never ever change. 

I've got a new boss alright ... a boss for whom I'll do everything I possibly can. Her name is Coraline, and she can boss me around all she wants, friends. 

No comments: