Saturday, July 5, 2014

Dear Westboro Baptist Church

My name is Terrie Johnson, and I am one of the co-directors of the documentary "Not My Father's Son" ... you know ... the film that tells Nate's story. I know you're aware of the documentary because you were kind enough to tweet about it last night. Please bear with me as I have a few things I'd like to say this evening.

Over the last year or so, I've read volumes of information regarding your church and your former pastor Fred Phelps, and I offer my sincere condolences to each of you following his passing. I first learned about Westboro after I moved to Kansas, and more specifically, it was when you folks protested at Matthew Shepard's funeral. I grew up in the deep South in a pretty conservative faith myself, but you guys make some of the most virulent hell, fire and brimstone preachers and churches I've ever known seem like fluffy cotton candy on a hot summer day. In fact, I can't think of any other church in the country that is as outspoken and determined as you guys are. I guess I sort of thought (or desperately hoped) that perhaps when Fred passed, maybe you guys would soften up a little, but instead it seems as though you're stepping up your game.

I'm assuming that many of you have read what my son Brad wrote on the Kickstarter page about why we want to tell Nate's story, which means you know I'm one of those people you believe God hates and that I'm headed straight for hell. The purpose of my letter isn't to engage in a theological debate, as I'm certain that would not prove to be beneficial for anyone. I'm writing because I hope you'll get at least a small glimpse into the heart of one of the people you condemn. 

I was 10 years old when I realized that I was different from other girls, and I spent the next four decades of my life trying not to be. I spent hours and hours and hours on my knees begging God to change me, to fix me, to make me be attracted to guys rather than girls. I worked tirelessly in the church, believing that my involvement in the Lord's work would cure me. It wasn't until I came within minutes of taking my own life that I began the journey toward becoming the woman God really created me to be. I am the daughter of two strong and loving Christian parents. I am the blessed and cherished mother of three incredibly gifted, talented and caring young adult children. I am the adoring and doting grandmother of a precious little girl, as I will also be to her sister on the way. I am a devoted and loving sister to my two older siblings. I am a loyal and steadfast friend to many, both young and old alike. I know that God loves me and that He created me ... just as He loves you and just as He created you. Just as He loves and created every single person who has ever lived.

My favorite story in the Bible is found in John 8:1-11, the story of the woman caught in the act of adultery. There are lots of reasons why I love this story, not the least of which is the overwhelming and immense love Jesus demonstrated toward the woman whom the religious leaders wanted to stone to death. I often think of the woman's story when I see photos of your church as you protest various events ... when I see your signs, I can't help but think of the stones the men held as they tossed the woman onto the ground before Jesus. I can't help but think about how Jesus responded ... about how he urged those among the men without sin to cast the first stone ... about how when confronted with their own sin, they ran away ... about how He assured the woman she would receive no condemnation from Him.

This morning, I sat on my couch and wept as I looked through hundreds of photos of your children carrying signs bearing the trademark slogans of Westboro Baptist Church ... your innocent little children ... your children holding the signs in their small hands ... signs that look and feel a whole lot like stones. From my heart to yours, Westboro folks ... it's time to lay down the signs and drop the stones ... it's way past time to lay down the signs and drop the stones.  

"But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, 'He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her. Again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. When they heard it, they began to go out one by one, beginning with the older ones, and He was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the center of the court. Straightening up, Jesus said to her, 'Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?' She said, 'No one, Lord.' And Jesus said, 'I don't condemn you either. Go. From now on sin no more.'" John 8:7-11







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Westboro Baptist Church" is neither Baptist, nor is it a church, and it's time for everyone to stop calling it such.

The people at Westboro are not representative of orthodox Christianity.

Let's everyone stop calling it or equating it with the Church or Christianity.