Monday, July 21, 2014

Kiss the Girls

I'm sure many of you who are around my age remember the television cartoon The Jetsons ... pretty certain that most of us who grew up in the 60s will forever remember that show. George, Jane, Judy and Elroy ... the absolute most awesomely cool space age family ever. They lived in Orbit City and had a robot maid named Rosie who took care of all their household chores. And Astro the dog ... man, I loved Astro the dog when I was a kid. George worked for Spacely Space Sprockets, and he commuted to work in a flying saucer-like aero car while the family zipped from place to place in these totally awesome tube contraptions. Yep, the Jetson family had it going on, especially when it came to travel ... they could go wherever they wanted in the blink of an eye. 

I can honestly say I haven't often wished for some sort of space age mode of travel, or better yet, to be able to teleport to a different location. But yesterday and today ... yesterday and today, the only place I wanted to be was in Canada and I would have given anything to be able to jump on board a spaceship or yell, "Beam me up, Scotty," and be magically transported to my son and daughter-in-law's house. Oh, there are tons and tons of days when I wish I could be with my little C.J. ... I miss her so much it stinking flipping hurts. But yesterday was an extra special day in C.J.'s life ... in all of our lives ... yesterday, C.J.'s baby sister was born, weighing in at 7 lbs 9 oz. She made her grand entrance in the afternoon, and tonight she and Becca are home and doing well. When I spoke with Matt last night, he sounded tired and excited ... the proud father of two beautiful, healthy little girls.

I would have loved to have seen C.J.'s face when she met her baby sister for the first time ... I'm sure it was a precious and special moment. I can't wait until we Skype in a few days ... I'm sure she will tell me all about it, and I'm looking forward to actually "seeing" my new granddaughter. Matt sent me a couple of pictures last night, and she looks a lot like C.J. did when she was born ... lots of dark hair and chubby little chipmunk cheeks. Yep, I'd give anything for a spaceship right about now ... I want to hold her and rock her and cuddle her and smell her little baby smell and look into her big blue eyes. I want to meet my new granddaughter and tell her how much I love her already.

C.J.'s middle name is Queen ... the middle name of Becca's great grandmother. When my son told me the meaning of C.J.'s baby sister's middle name, tears filled my eyes and emotion washed through my heart. Her name is Amelie Malou ... my mom's name was Mary Louise ... Malou. Mom would have been tickled pink ... she would have been tickled pink. And even more, she would have been so proud of the adults my children have become ... she would have been so very proud of them.

So Matt and Becca ... rest well, kiddos, and know that I love you with all my heart and wish I was there with you. Kiss the girls for me ... kiss those beautiful little girls and tell them their Ghee loves them to the moon and back.

No comments: