Monday, July 28, 2014

So About That Hug

This summer in Kansas City has been unusually cool ... with the exception of some hot and humid days here and there, it's felt more like fall than summer. I've never been a big fan of hot weather, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the pleasant temps ... especially in the evenings when Oliver the wiener dog and I head out for our nightly walks. There's not much that would get me to turn around in the middle of one of those completely perfect evening walks and go back home, but when my son Matt called last night and said my granddaughter wanted me to read her bedtime story to her, I immediately said, "I'll be on Skype in 10 minutes." I'm pretty sure Ollie thought I was losing my mind as I tugged on his leash and informed him that we were done walking ... oh, come on ... everyone knows that granddaughter trumps wiener dog every single time. I love you to pieces, Ollie dog, but Coraline will always win ... sorry, little dude.

It's crazy how just the sight of her eyes lighting up when I appear on the screen can erase my troubles ... how the sound of her laughter can lift even the heaviest burden I'm carrying ... how hearing her say, "What you do today, Ghee?" can soothe my tired and weary mind. I'm pretty sure my heart will explode from all the love and cuteness when Amelie is old enough to join in ... Ghee times two will be doubly awesome. I love every minute I get to Skype with my little C.J., but I especially love it when she hugs and kisses the laptop. She makes these adorable hugs and kisses sounds ... sweetest ... thing ... ever ... well, sweetest thing ever next to being able to get those hugs and kisses in person. There is just something so endearing, so touching, so incredibly sweet about her hugging the laptop ... it melts my heart every single time she does it.

Last week, I had a conversation with someone in my office that I haven't been able to get off my mind ... a conversation I hope I never get off my mind. A gal with whom I haven't had a lot of interaction asked me if I remembered a day last year when I went around to every person's desk and gave them a hug. My reply was swift and intelligent ... "Ummm ... maybe ... I dunno ... why?" And then she said something that I'm pretty sure will forever change the way I see the people around me ... at least I hope it does anyway. 

"I was having a really bad day that day on many levels, one of the worst days of my life. I've wanted to tell you how much your hug meant to me ... it really did mean the world to me that day. I needed that hug more than you will ever know."

So my here's the thing for tonight ... hug someone tomorrow. Or maybe hug everyone tomorrow. Or maybe hug someone every day for the rest of your life. You never know what pain someone else is living with ... you never know whose heart is breaking ... you never know how powerful and affirming a hug can be unless you hug someone. Or lots of someones. Or lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of someones. You never know whose heart you may help to mend ... you never know ... you just never know.

So about that hug ...

No comments: