Monday, July 14, 2014

The Art of Loving Well

There are some things in life I will never understand no matter how hard I try. Things I can't make any sense out of, that I can find no reason for, that beg the resounding question of "Why?" Like war or famine or disease or hate ... or the death of a child.

This afternoon, I attended a Celebration of Life memorial service for a little girl ... a beautiful, smart, caring little 9-year-old girl. When I used to help out with the kids in Awana on Wednesday nights at church, the little girl was one of my favorites. Every week, she would give me a hug and ask me if she could say her Bible verses to me, and eyes would beam as she recited the passages. I've thought about her and all those kids from church so very many times over the last year and a half since I left. I've wished so many times that I would have had the guts to go back one more time and tell all those kiddos goodbye ... to tell them how much they meant to me ... to tell them I loved them.

The large auditorium was filled to overflowing with those who came to honor the little girl and stand in support and encouragement for her devastated and grieving family. The service was truly a tribute to the young girl and her passion for living life to the fullest every single day. Her favorite songs, movies she had made, slide shows ... she had such an infectious spirit and a wisdom far beyond her years. I don't think there was a dry eye in the building when her dad walked onto the stage and began to speak at the end of the service ... I can't imagine the courage it took for him to stand before all those people and allow them to see his wounded and grieving heart. 

From the moment I heard the news about the little girl's death, I knew I wanted to attend her memorial service. I wrestled over the last few days with whether or not I should go, knowing I would most likely see people from my former church ... some of whom I knew would think I shouldn't be there. But in my heart, I knew it was the right thing to do ... it was right for me to go and honor the little girl who blessed me over and over again. Some of my former church mates immediately embraced me when they saw me and said they miss me. Some spoke to me only if I spoke to them first. Some ignored me and some even turned away from me. But I didn't go for any of them ... I went to pay my respects to a sweet girl and her family ... and I'm glad I went ... I'm very glad I went.

I walked out of the church this afternoon with one overriding thought ... that little girl taught more people than she ever realized about what real love is, and she'll continue to teach people she will never meet this side of heaven. You see, that little kiddo understood what so many of us never comprehend ... that what matters most in this life, no matter how short or long it may be, is that we love one another. That precious little girl mastered it in just nine years, you know ... she mastered the art of loving well, and we would all do well to learn from her.

Rest in peace, little one ... rest in sweet, sweet peace ... you touched my heart and the hearts of everyone who knew you.

No comments: