Monday, July 7, 2014

Putting Myself in Time-out

Before I get into my post for this evening, I'd like to thank all of you who contributed to our Kickstarter campaign for "Not My Father's Son." Unfortunately, we didn't meet our goal of $55,000 so now we're moving on to Plan B ... we don't exactly know what Plan B is just yet, but we know we have a Plan B because we KNOW we WILL make this film. For those of you who haven't followed the campaign, we raised a little more than $20,000 in 35 days. But again, unfortunately, the way Kickstarter works is if you don't reach your goal amount, you get nothing. The second thing I need to let you know before I move on to my subject for tonight is that I'm exhausted ... physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted. While the last 35 days have been incredibly fun and rewarding on many levels, some of those days have been pretty stressful as well. But you know what? That's just the way life is ... some days are awesomely fun and you want to run dancing through the streets, and some days make you just want to crawl under a rock and hide. So having said thank you and informed you that I'm pooped, on to the heart of my post.

Last night when I was Skyping with my granddaughter, she had to spend a few minutes in time-out ... hard to believe she could ever misbehave, I know. But alas, she was playing a wee bit too rough with her dad and managed to conk him on the head with a bucket and plant her teeth pretty firmly on his arm. I'm relatively certain that both instances must have been accidental in nature ... she is perfect after all ... but her dad didn't exactly see it that way. I think that's the hardest part of being a grandparent, by the way ... hearing them wail and seeing them shed real tears when they get punished for their actions. But ... I know beyond the shadow of any doubt that Matt and Becca adore my precious granddaughter, and they are wonderful parents ... parents who love their daughter enough to teach her how to behave appropriately. What I'm sure was only a matter of minutes each time little miss C.J. got scooped up into Matt's arms and hauled into the house for time-out seemed like hours as I waited for her to return and continue Skyping with me.

This morning, Brad and I spent an hour or so with some amazing folks at a local radio station ... I'm sure many of you who live in the Kansas City area are familiar with Afentra, Danny and Mark from 96.5 The Buzz. We had participated in a phone interview with Afentra when we first launched our Kickstarter campaign, and she invited us to join her in the studio today in a final push to try to reach our goal. I had never met Afentra or her team in person, and to be honest, I was more than a little nervous as I paced in the lobby waiting for Brad to arrive. My fears were immediately put to rest when we walked into the studio ... Afentra greeted us with hugs, and Danny and Mark let us know right from the start that they are completely behind us all the way. At some point during the interview, Afentra commented that many people have become desensitized to the trademark signs and the vitriolic hatred that defines Westboro Baptist Church. I surprised myself when I spoke up and said that for me personally, each time I see the signs, the words emblazoned upon them cut me like a knife.

I've been pretty down in the dumps today ... okay, for the last couple of days ... and I decided on my way home from work this evening that I need to put myself in a time-out. I'm not putting myself in time-out because I've misbehaved, mind you ... though I'm abundantly aware there are many people who think my very existence is the very worst form of misbehaving ... but because ... well ... just because sometimes a gal just needs a short time-out from all the ... well ... suffice it to say that I'm putting myself in time-out for a few days. To those of you who worry when I don't blog ... please don't ... I just need to take a break and recharge my batteries.

You know ... both times last night when Coraline returned after her time-outs, she was smiling and happy. Even though she left in tears, she came back smiling. Sometimes, friends ... sometimes a time-out is just exactly what we need.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Westboro Baptist Church" is neither Baptist, nor is it a church, and it's time for everyone to stop calling it such. 

The people at Westboro are not representative of orthodox Christianity.

Let's everyone stop calling it or equating it with the Church or Christianity.

IT'S NOT A CHURCH!

Terrie Johnson said...

Dear Anonymous,

While I agree with you that WBC does not represent what you or I or many other people define as a church or even Christianity, the sad truth is that they are not alone in their beliefs. There are thousands, if not millions, of "churches" and "Christians" who believe exactly the same tenants as WBC. They don't carry signs in protest in public, but they practice the same hate behind closed doors, and even worse, they indoctrinate their children to hate as well.

I apologize if my references to Westboro offend you, but the truth is that they are indeed recognized by law as a church. And by the way, they are also listed by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a hate group. Ironic isn't it that a "church" can be nationally identified as an organization that spews hate.

Nate often quotes this verse from 1 Corinthians 13:13 ... "Now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

We're making the film ... I'll sell my kidney if I have to or empty my 401k or ... well, that about covers my financial options, I guess, but we're making this film. People need to know the truth ... and Brad, Jason and I are going to tell it. Promise.

Thank you for your comments and for reading. Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

So tell the truth about the people who gather at Westboro. That's fine. But, it's beyond hypocritical to group all churches together with them as people who hate.

It's a special kind of irony that says there are millions of churches who believe the exact same tenants as Westboro, when you don't know that to be true. You seem to want people to accept you for who you truly are, for people to get to know you and love you. And then, in almost the same breath, you generalize and stereotype millions of churches made up of people you have never met, people you don't know, beliefs you are unaware of.

It seems to me that you want people, churches in particular, too treat you with love and respect and dignity when you aren't playing by the same rules.

I belong to a church that loves and welcomes and ministers to any and every person. We believe that all are sinners, and that Christ loves and died for all of us. There is zero hatred present. Zero. We don't believe it's "love" to pat sinners (like me) on the back and tell them they're okay. Because love does not condone behavior we believe will warrant the wrath of God. We need Jesus, all of us. We need to repent, all of us. We need to turn to Jesus, all of us. And that is precisely what we preach and teach and live. That's Church. Tell that story, would you?

The Westboro story has been played out. There's a reason your kickstarter wasn't fully funded- people have heard the same story time and again. It's nothing new.

Unknown said...

Keep spreading the hate and judgement anonymous. Hopefully you will watch the documentary when it comes out and see exactly what hate does to individuals. Who cares that you don't agree with Terrie's lifestyle and choices? Love her. I believe the bible says treat others the way you want to be treated and I can tell you that Terrie shows others LOVE.

I may or may not know you, since you did not disclose who you are, but I can bet you are a wonderful person who just needs to take a step outside of the "world" view you have been given and spread the real message of Jesus, which was to Love others. You have all the freedom in the world to speak your mind but there is no where on the constitution or in the bible that allows you to be rude to someone because you don't understand where they are coming from.

I love Terrie. She has shown me more understanding and love than any person has ever shown me, and she did that within the first month of knowing her. If anyone gets to tell this story it is her and the loving son she raised and blessed me with.

I'm done ranting now.

Shelby